For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking a for our Research Scientist 1 located in Ashland, OH.
This person will act as a Study Director who is responsible for overseeing the study conduct of in-vivo preclinical efficacy and/or general toxicology studies assigned within safety assessment. Responsible for protocols/study plans, coordinates with technical teams to allow appropriate execution of the study, including establishing study schedules, ensuring adequate Standard Operating Procedures are available and adhered to, oversee adequate data recording and reporting, and ensures regulatory requirements/expectations are met for the assigned study(ies). Overall interpretation of preclinical toxicity studies, evaluation and preparation of reports from the data collected during these studies, communication with sponsor representatives, initiating contact with potential clients will be required, and familiarity with study costs and impact of changes will be required. May be involved with development of new technologies/procedures.
• Function as an independent Study Director in accordance with the applicable Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs) (see detailed role and responsibilities of Study Director below).
• Understands local regulations and GLP’s as they relate to primary area of focus.
• Understands the study process from proposal to report.
• Oversees and coordinates study conduct (protocol development, technical guidance, and reporting).
• Assists in study planning, scheduling, and execution under the supervision of Sr. Scientist(s)/Scientific Manager.
• Host client visits and telephone/video conferences.
• Effectively communicates with internal and external clients in a manner that generates confidence and builds trust.
• Works on studies/programs of basic to moderate complexity.
• Gains experience and begins to develop an area of expertise.
• Basic knowledge of Quality Assurance (QA)/Quality Control (QC) process.
• Interacts with veterinary staff, understands the IACUC process, and understands the Study Director role in animal welfare.
• Assists with mentoring of less experienced staff and may assist with training of scientific/senior scientific associate, as needed.
• Provides advice to clients and to technical teams.
• Understands importance of overall project costs and communicates with the technical supervisor as well as the Scientific Manager on issues of staffing and equipment.
• May participate in proposal development.
• May attend scientific meetings, conferences and training courses to enhance job and professional skills.
The following are minimum qualifications related to the Research Scientist 1 position:
• Education: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent in Toxicology or related discipline. Prefer Master’s (MA/MS), Doctorate (PhD), PharmD, DVM, or MD degree or equivalent.
• Experience: Minimum 2 to 3 years related industry experience.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 300 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Disabled/Vet
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Research Scientist 1 (General Toxicology) 1 (Ashland, OH, US, 44805). This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Product Quality Assurance