The Universityof Iowa Health Care, Department of Pharmaceutical Care, is seek a Senior Pharmacy Technician, Certified to join our team. This position provides specialized support with adherence packaging, medication synchronization and inventory management to the Ambulatory Care Pharmacies under the general supervision of a pharmacy technician supervisor. Coordinates and performs as necessary the technical activities of a pharmacy service area under the general supervision of a pharmacist. Provides supervision of Pharmacy Technician Trainees, Certified Pharmacy Technicians, and Pharmacy Student Interns.
Duties to include:
- Coordinates completion of adherence packaging and medication synchronization duties
- Completes necessary packaging
- Provides coverage for completion of adherence packaging
- Reassigns work areas and duties for Pharmacy Technician Trainees, Certified Pharmacy Technicians, and Pharmacy Student Interns to ensure completion of adherence packaging
- Provides feedback to supervisor and area managers regarding issues, process improvement and performance of technicians.
- Assists with coordinating activities around the completion of medication synchronization
- Maintains appropriate documentation of medication synchronization and adherence packaging
- Contacts patients as needed
- Assists with interviewing, orienting, training, scheduling, and providing work performance feedback.
- Assists with interviewing technician applicants.
- Assists the supervisor with coordination of training new staff including documentation of training.
- Conducts training and provides remedial training as needed.
- Assists in preparing training and work schedules for Pharmacy Technician Trainees, Certified Pharmacy Technicians, and Pharmacy Student Interns.
- Participates in administering competency assessments, certification and re-certification for performing specific job responsibilities.
- Provides performance feedback for both newly hired and existing staff (Tech’s, students, pharmacists, residents, and externship students).
- Participates in database maintenance. Assists with computer and cash register database maintenance.
- Participates in inventory management.
- Coordinates inventory activities for Ambulatory Pharmacy areas including cycle counts and returns to the manufacturer.
- Participates in activities related to medication recalls.
- Assists with data collection and runs reports as requested.
- Assists with annual 100% inventory.
- Participates in management activities.
- Provides assistance with project analysis.
- Provides assistance with coordination of new projects.
- Conducts meetings to convey information.
- Maintains files related to pharmacy operations. Acts as a positive role model. Communicates with clear, positive verbal and written messages to individuals within the department as well as with patients, the general public, and other departments.
- Fosters teamwork by encouraging and assisting others.
- Position includes all responsibilities performed by Certified Pharmacy Technicians in the Ambulatory Care Pharmacies.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics—recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States—is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.®
Percent of Time: 100%
Schedule: Work 8 hour shifts between the hours of 7:30 am - 5:00 pm; occasional weekends/holidays may be required.
Location: Ambulatory Care Pharmacy
Pay Grade: 11 [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Senior Pharmacy Technician, Certified
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
For more information about Why Iowa?, click [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Senior Pharmacy Technician, Certified
High school graduation including a general mathematics course, or the equivalent.
2. a. Four years’ experience as a pharmacy technician including at least one year of experience as a Pharmacy Technician (Certified) or equivalent position or
b. Four years’ experience in a position directly related to the natural sciences, or
c. Four years post high school education in the natural sciences or related area, or
d. Combination of related experience and related post high school education to equal four years.
3. National certification as a certified pharmacy technician by a National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) accredited pharmacy technician certification program and examination is required. Must meet ongoing education requirements and maintain certification.
Note: Per Board of Pharmacy Regulations (Iowa Administrative Code -- 657-Chapter 3, Pharmacy Technicians):
1. Effective July 1, 2021, all pharmacy technicians must register with the Board of Pharmacy prior to commencement of employment in an Iowa pharmacy.
2. Effective July 1, 2009, all pharmacy technicians must be certified by July 1, 2010.
Ability to perform ratio/proportion equations,
Experience with inventory maintenance activities,
Experience working in team environment,
Experience working in detail-oriented work environment,
Knowledge of windows based computer programs,
Experience working in environment requiring accuracy,
Experience working in healthcare with one-on-one patient interaction & experience handling challenging interactions in work environment.
Prefer National Career Readiness Certificate at Silver Level.
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume (under submission relevant materials) that clearly addresses how you meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM of the posting end date.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
- Classification Title: Staff Nurse
- Appointment Type: SEIU
- Schedule: Full-time
Equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the application or interview process may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services,
or [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Senior Pharmacy Technician, Certified
. For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI Health care Leave & Disability Administration at
- Software Packaging
- Inventory Management
- Health Care