Be Extraordinary, Join Our Team!
PA or NP will serve as Lead and Clinical Educator for the Cardiovascular Surgery Critical Care APP Service - acting as content expert for post-operative cardiovascular surgery ICU management with a secondary focus on Pulmonary/Critical Care Medicine. Placing an emphasis on patient safety and quality, the Cardiovascular Surgery APP Lead/Clinical Educator will be responsible for the training of Cardiovascular Surgery, SICU and Medical Critical Care APPs and will mentor their clinical development as they transition to increasing autonomy. In conjunction with Pulmonary/Critical Care APP Lead, Cardiovascular Surgeons, Surgical Intensivists and Pulmonary/Critical Care Physicians - the Cardiovascular Surgery Lead/Clinical Educator will participate in development of clinical training materials and simulation experiences as well as development of policies and process improvements. They will oversee and implement M& M, Peer Review and Quality meetings. In this role, the Cardiovascular Surgery APP Clinical Educator will act as a clinical mentor for all Cardiovascular Surgery APPs and additionally lend educational support to APPs on the Critical Care, SICU and Medicine/RRT service lines. Duties include training APP staff for coverage of the ICUs, acting as a liaison between CV Surgeons/Critical Care Physicians and APP staff, assisting with annual Employee Development Discussions, and working as a clinician within the ICUs.
This is a majority clinical position - clinical duties as outlined for Cardiovascular Surgery and Pulmonary/Critical Care APP including: Admission, H and P completion, medical management, rounding and coordination of care for Cardiovascular Surgery patients in the ICU in conjunction with Cardiovascular Surgeons, Intensivists, Attending Physicians and other hospital staff. Responds to emergent changes in patient clinical status. Rapidly identify, treat and stabilize patients with life threatening clinical scenarios. Performs bedside procedures such as Central/Arterial Line Placement, Quinton Device Placement, Bedside Point of Care Ultrasound and Chest Tube management/removal. Coordinate supporting clinical staff to address urgent patient situations. Provide concise sign-out of pertinent patient information to MN staff at conclusion of each shift.
Beaumont offers a comprehensive benefits package to meet your financial, health and life-work balance goals.
* Generous paid time off, holidays and flexible scheduling
* Our employees receive special discounts on a wide range of products and services
* Exceptional health, dental, vision and prescription drug insurance plans
* Tuition Reimbursement
* Relocation assistance
* Savings & retirement plans, disability insurance, identify theft protection and even home and auto insurance
1. With an emphasis on patient safety, maintaining hospital standards, meeting national benchmarks and addressing appropriate length of stay the Cardiovascular Surgery PA/NP Clinical Educator partners with Pulmonary/Critical Care APP Lead and Physician Staff to provide training for Beaumont employed Cardiovascular Surgery APPs as well as lending educational support to the Critical Care and Medicine/RRT APP service lines. This may include teaching rounds, one-on-one instruction, clinical simulations and lectures.
2. Performs and provides training on various procedures including, but not limited to: Bedside ultrasound, ultrasound assisted insertion of venous catheters and central lines, placement of hemodialysis catheters, arterial line insertion, placement and removal of chest tubes and evaluation of arterial blood gases.
3. In conjunction with Pulmonary/Critical Care APP Lead and Physician staff assists with development and updating of written critical care and medicine training materials as well as materials for Critical Care Residency Program and development of local FCCS training program.
4. Clinical duties as outlined for Cardiovascular Surgery and Pulmonary/Critical Care APP including: Admission, H and P completion, medical management, rounding and coordination of care for Cardiovascular Surgery patients in the ICU in conjunction with Cardiovascular Surgeons, Intensivists, Attending Physicians and other hospital staff. Responds to emergent changes in patient clinical status. Rapidly identify, treat and stabilize patients with life threatening clinical scenarios. Coordinate supporting clinical staff to address urgent patient situations. Provide concise sign-out of pertinent patient information to MN staff at conclusion of each shift.
5. Presenter and coordinator for regular in-services to APP groups and multidisciplinary team on Critical Care topics - with focus on post-operative care of the Cardiovascular Surgery patient population.
6. Serves as content expert on Critical Care Billing providing training to staff upon hire and annually.
7. Obtain required continuing educations standards as outlined by PA/NP governing bodies.
8. Other duties assigned to meet the needs of the department may include committee membership to promote patient safety and efficiency between departments.
A. Education Requirements
* Mater of Nursing or Graduate of an accredited PA program.
* Current PA/NP licensure
B. Work Experience
* 6 years experience in the ICU management of patients who have undergone Cardiovascular Surgery.
* Proficient in the insertion of arterial lines and central venous catheters.
* Proficient in placement, management and removal of chest tubes.
* Experience in education and training of APPs in the specialty of Cardiovascular Surgery.
Beaumont offers you a world of opportunity throughout Southeast Michigan. With eight hospitals and 155 outpatient sites you'll have a wide variety of practice settings to choose from. Beaumont has more nationally ranked hospitals in Michigan than any other health system.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer Beaumont Health grants equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, height, weight, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected category.
- Arterial Blood Gases
- Business Process Improvement
- Clinical Works
- Critical Care