SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With over 97,000 employees in 130 countries and operating a network of more than 2,400 offices and laboratories, we provide services to almost every industry by assuring quality and safety of products and services.
Responsible for safely conducting analysis and reporting of various products, such as crude oil, fuel oils, middle distillates, petroleum and petrochemicals, LPG and LNG gases as well as lubricants for the Natural Resources and Industries and Environment sectors.
- Responsible for conducting laboratory analysis (hands on working on the bench).
- Complete all laboratory reports as applicable.
- Understand and keep current with all laboratory analysis methods.
- Assist with the maintenance and calibration of equipment.
- Understand and keep current with all laboratory safety and reporting techniques.
- Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
- Prepare chemical solutions according to standard formulas.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED (Required)
- Associates Degree in a science discipline (Preferred)
- 1-year experience working in a laboratory setting (Preferred)
- For Crude Assay Technician: Previous experience in crude oil assay distillation per ASTM D2892 and ASTM D5236 (Preferred)
Licenses and Certifications
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good organization skills, detailed oriented and completes tasks in a timely manner. (Required)
- Able to work in a routine repetitive fast paced work environment (Required)
- Able to stand on feet for long periods of time (Required)
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions as may be furnished in oral, written, diagram, electronic or schedule form. (Required)
- Acts accordingly to the SGS standards of ethics and integrity (Required)
- Must be able to work with all chemicals, petrochemicals and petroleum products. (Required)
- For Crude Assay Technician: Possess working proficiency of ASTM D4052, D5002, D97, D5853, UOP 163, D4294; Understands and is able to read and interpolate applicable data and tables, interpret applicable graphs and control charts, complete laboratory raw data sheets, and is able to compute rates, ratio, percents and material quantities (linear, volumetric, weight, etc.); able to synthesize information from a variety of sources and evaluate relevance as pertains to crude assay trending properties. (Required)
Physical Demands of the Job
- Move or traverse:
- Use hands:
- Reach with hands and arms:
- Climb or balance:
- Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl:
- Lift/carry/push or pull: Occasionally 25 lbs
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call
for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
- Attention To Detail
- Control Chart