The DC Operations Manager partners with the General Manager and/ or Assistant General Manager to develop and implement strategies that drive continuous improvement and maximize productivity and efficiency to reduce overall costs. Is responsible for ensuring a continuous stream of talent to sustain organizational growth and improve operations by attracting, retaining, and developing team members and meet their needs for career growth.
The DC Operations Manager must be knowledgeable in all facets of the Distribution Center (DC), overseeing one or more of the following areas: Inbound Operations (Receiving and Reclamation), Replenishment, Outbound Operations (Selection, Shipping and PDQ, E-Commerce), Transportation, Customer Service Associates, and General Office Associates. The Operations Manager operates under limited management supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Regularly meet with the General Manager and/or Assistant General Manager to discuss and review work methods, procedures, and controls, and staffing to achieve accurate and timely movement of product, recommend alternative solutions as necessary; actively participate in conference calls as needed and maintain strong presence in work location to assist and resolve issues as required
- Direct responsibility for a DC Department (Inbound and/or Outbound) with 150+ Team Member, including budgeting, P&L, and staffing
- Ensure the warehouse layout is maximized efficiently, including proper slotting of inventory; ensuring proper maintenance and organization of all warehouse areas for the safest working environment
- Responsible for the efficient operation of the Warehouse Management (WMS) and Red Prairie (RP) systems, in partnership with the Systems Manager and Industrial Engineer
- Ensure that inventory is received appropriately and efficiently, and processed in a timely and safe manner by following established procedures; manage through Team Members to ensure product is picked accurately; pick locations are at full capacity, and dispatched on time
- Partner with the GM and/or AGM to drive continuous improvement and maximize efficiency gains to reduce overall costs; maintain a strong working relationship with management team and other related corporate partners; and regularly communicate with the facility management on issues that arise and be able to react as required
- Coach, train, and develop management team providing both informal (e.g. on-floor coaching) and formal (e.g. written evaluation) job performance based feedback.
- Conduct start-up meetings with Department Managers to discuss daily results, directives/workloads, staffing needs, schedules, safety/housekeeping issues, and work assignments
- Consistently monitor all safety procedures and ensure that all corresponding personal protection equipment (PPE) is utilized
- Responsible for hiring, interviewing, performance counseling, performance appraisal, and record keeping process for assigned Team Members.
- Ensure that daily, weekly, and monthly reports to the Corporate Offices are 100% accurate and delivered on time; address inventory shrink issues; and implement measures to effectively control inventory
- Partner with the GM or AGM as necessary to manage working relationship with onsite transportation #3PL agent, review transportation carrier performance and make recommendations accordingly
- Maintain a union free work environment that demonstrates a fair and respectful workplace for all Team Members
- Responsible for budgeting, P & L, and staffing responsibilities for their assigned departments.
- Other related duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel software applications
- Strong working knowledge of Warehouse Management System(s) (WMS) and Red Prairie (RP)
- Ability to use business mathematics
- Good understanding of Supply Chain management
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with Team Members at all levels
- Strong desire to focus on the timely completion of goals; ability to set specific measurable improvement goals and match resources, tools, and action plans to requirements for success
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills; ability to effectively present information and training; respond to questions across all levels of the organization and cultivate relationships with internal and external customers to achieve business objectives
- Ability to work various shifts, departments and locations as required, including overtime, weekends and holidays
- Proper maintenance and organization of all warehouse areas so that it's appearance is conducive to creating a perfect safe working environment
- Flexibility to relocate as necessary a plus
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED required (Bachelor degree preferred); and 4-6 years related leadership experience in Supply Chain/Distribution Management; or equivalent combination of education and experience
This position directly supervises one or more Department Managers. Assist the GM and/or AGM with carrying out managerial responsibilities in accordance with the organizations policies, procedures and applicable state and federal laws. Responsibilities include training Team Members, planning, assigning, and directing work; writing and conducting performance appraisals; rewarding and counseling Team Members as appropriate; addressing complaints and resolving problems
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Post-hire certifications may be required to comply with safety standards as mandated by law or to operate machinery or equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, reach with arms, talk and hear. The employee will be frequently required to stop, kneel and crouch. The employee occasionally will be required to sit, climb (18+ft), or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; and occasional exposure to high places, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually high.
Action Driven: Has a strong desire to succeed. Focuses on the timely completion of a goal or outcome. Sets specific measurable improvement goals and matches resources, tools, and action plans to the requirements thus accomplishing success. Never satisfied with the status quo.
Customer Driven: Develops strategies that help AAP create real value to our customers being internal or external. All decisions taken are driven by the needs of our customers.
Effective Communication: Has the ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization and is able to adjust message according to the audience. Uses communication as a tool to send and receive information. Is able to verbalize ideas effectively in a concise way.
Acts with Integrity: Always acts in an ethical and honest way following Advance Auto Parts value system. Is fair, takes responsibility for actions, does what is right and shoes respect for others. Shows strong moral principles in all business dealings.
Industry and Business Knowledge: Has a comprehensive understanding of the Advance Auto Parts business. Is well versed in AAP products and services. Full knowledge of the automotive industry and or the function he/she is assigned to. Know the competition and other factors in the market that might pose an impact to Advance Auto Parts negatively or positively.
Managing People: Is able to inspire and direct people to a desired outcome. Sets clear and specific goals and follows up on them providing timely feedback. Coaches and counsels according to the performance level. Is quick to recognize good performance and not afraid to address proactively marginal performance.
Problem Solving and decision making: Considers the positive and the negative of all viable alternatives before making a decision including the capacity to forecast results. Is creative in the process finding solutions to simple or complex business situations.
Team Oriented: Achieves results through teams by using effective delegation and motivation techniques. Recognizes that an inspired and well managed team is the only road to achieve success that exceeds expectations. Also has ability to promote and manage individual judgment for the benefit of the team.
LEADERSHIP: Previous change management experience driving, influencing and inspiring change and continuous process improvement through communication at all levels.
Complex Problem Solving