To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
4251 Suitland Road
Suitland-Silver Hill, MD 20746
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Senior Systems Engineer
General Dynamics Information Technology • Suitland-Silver Hill, MD
Posted 6 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
General Dynamics IT has an opening for a Senior Systems Engineer with strong communication and technical skills that will provide vision and technical leadership for our large Federal Government Agency’s DevOps, Continuous Integration/ Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) Center of Excellence. The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for 1) the set-up, maintenance and ongoing development of continuous build/ integration infrastructure, 2) create and maintain fully automated CI build processes for multiple Java/J2EE environments, and 3) write build and deployment scripts. This role will focus on establishing and implementing pipelines and processes in an exciting new direction for one of our flagship brands. The candidate will work within a new team of specialized Engineers in a fast paced and highly dynamic web development group that is committed to continuous improvement and the adoption of best practices. The candidate must be passionate about delivering quality products, and build fast feedback cycles to assist the team in understanding and improving the development and delivery processes.
The candidate must be a US Citizen and be able to obtain Department of Commerce vetting clearance.
Specific roles & responsibilities for the position include but not limited to the following:
- Support CI/CD tools integration/ operations/ change management, and maintenance.
- Support project teams in implementing full automation of CI (TDD, unit testing, code quality, code security, etc.), automation of functional/non-functional testing and automation of deployment to diverse environments (Java: Weblogic, Tomcat; .NET: IIS; NodeJS).
- Develop policies, standards, guidelines, governance and related guidance for CI/CD operations support.
- Code and document custom automation scripts/frameworks for project teams to use as a reference or baseline.
- On-board and support developers from source control, through build automation, merge resolution, CI, test automation, deployment based on tools usage and policies, standards.
- Troubleshoot issues along the CI/CD pipeline.
- Monitor, modify and set up new CI/CD pipelines as necessary, and oversee the changes in the pipelines.
- Monitor and manage alert services for the health of the entire architecture, including, but not limited to, CI/CD pipelines, database, application tier, external interfaces.
- Manage infrastructure and enable automated tools for the test teams to perform all automated testing.
- Develop architectural and operational knowledge of hosted services and build troubleshooting guides and run books for supporting the services.
- Provide the monitoring ability and tools for development teams to resolve conflicts resulting from merge and/or build failures
- Troubleshoot issues during the build process in the various environments (Production, Staging, Development, Test) and find solutions to integration pain points.
- Analyze project team current operations to understand their strengths and weaknesses to uncover opportunities for improvements.
- Evaluate existing applications and platforms and provides recommendations for improving performance by conducting gap analysis, identifying feasible alternative solutions, and assisting in the scope of modifications.
The successful candidate will have hands-on working experience in:
- CI/CD automation tools such as SVN/GIT, Jenkins CI/CD server (Cloudbees), Build-time Dependency Mgmt (Maven/Gradle (Java), Nuget (.NET), NPM (nodeJS)) and artifact repository manager (Nexus/Artifactory).
- Administering Jenkins, and Nexus and other CICD automation applications.
- Administering version control systems like Subversion and Git.
- DVCS branching and merging strategies.
- Maven scripting language for CI/CD automation.
- Automated deployments from Jenkins to JEE-stack application servers Tomcat and WebLogic 12c.
- Configuration management.
- Systems level configuration management tools – Puppet, Chef, or Ansible.
- Linux and Windows operating systems.
- UNIX shell scripting language such as Bash, Ruby, Perl and Python.
- Code branching/merging strategies.
- Solid understanding of continuous integration, deployment and operations concepts.
- Experience designing, developing, testing, and deploying applications/ systems using proven or emerging technologies, in a variety of technologies and environments.
- Experience in providing CI/CD automation in an Agile Software Development environment.
- Application performance Monitoring (APM) tool (e.g. AppDynamics).
- Data virtualization / data masking tool (e.g. Delphix).
- Database versioning tools such as Flyway for Java or FluentMigrator for .NET.
- Static Code quality checking tools (e.g. SonarCube).
- Static Code security checking tools (e.g. HP Fortify).
- Development team collaboration tools (e.g. Slack).
- Automated deployments using Octopus Deploy.
- Unit testing and code-coverage tools (JUnit, Coverity, Cobertura).
- Functional test automation techniques and tools (HP UFT, Selenium).
- Relational databases administration (i.e. Oracle, MySQL) & Non-relational databases (MongoDB).
- Cloud-based environment, particularly Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Microservice architectural approach.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or a related technical discipline.
- 7+ years of overall IT experience, including operations support with developer skills.
- 3+ years of CI/CD Engineering experience.