What You Will Do:
Under general administrative direction, the Clinical Informatics Training & Development Specialist, Lead is accountable for the development of the training program, curriculum and environments for the EHR application for which the Specialist is assigned. The Clinical Informatics & Training Specialist, Lead is accountable for the delivery of value-added health care informatics and technology which supports the strategic plan of the organization and achieves clinical, financial and service quality objectives. To achieve this objective, in collaboration with Informatics and UMMS partners, the Clinical Informatics Training & Development Specialist, Lead manages communication and coordination training curriculum changes and system updates to meet organizational objectives. This role is accountable for the quality of informatics training services delivered, coordination with IS&T application teams, coordination across system hospitals, and contributing to the design and maintenance of systems to support multidisciplinary team functioning and continuity of services within the Medical System. The Clinical Informatics Training & Development Specialist, Lead also manages projects for clinical or business applications in the healthcare environment. . This includes the supervision of teams, sharing in the development of project plans and schedules, and communicating at all levels of the organization.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Under general administrative direction, support strategies which contribute to departmental excellence. What You Need to Be Successful:
A. Shares in human resource management strategies including orientation, competency validation, professional development and staff recognition.
B. Shares in and contributes to effective performance management
C. Contributes to an atmosphere which fosters team work and open communication among staff. Models effective behaviors as a facilitator, coach and group leader.
D. Contributes to a department based climate which values and supports diversity and demonstrates career development and promotion of minority staff.
2. Accountable to Clinical Informatics leadership. Provide regular report to Clinical Informatics and Training leadership and local hospital leadership as appropriate. Provide pertinent feedback to informatics leadership around departmental resource management.
3. Collaborates with multidisciplinary team members to assess, redesign and continually improve effectiveness and productivity of clinical and business programs.
4. Anticipates and identifies complex clinical and business processes and informatics issues, monitors and measures the risk factors. Communicates risk factors to informatics leadership and stakeholders. Manages projects to ensure the implementation of continuous quality control of process and deliverables.
5. Builds effective networks, across the Medical System, of internal and external subject matter experts.
6. Meets with stakeholders across the Medical System to review solutions and issues and to gain commitment on recommendations.
7. Leads multidisciplinary groups toward solutions. Provides system level leadership to champion organization changes from inception to culmination.
8. Identifies barriers to change and accepts and manages ambiguity/complexity.
9. Plans, organizes and conducts or directs technical training programs inclusive of all applicable roles. Conducts needs assessments and identifies training needs based on stakeholder feedback, industry knowledge and EHR product development. Obtains stakeholder feedback and integrates into service design to support technical training solutions to clinical and business processes. Selects and develops appropriate training materials to support technical solutions.
10. Provides support and coaches stakeholders in effective process analysis and improvement techniques and in using data to assess and improve unit performance.
11. Participates as a member of various project workgroups, attends meetings as required.
12. Participates in multiple aspects of electronic health record development and implementation. Participates in training development and delivery, go-live and elbow support, testing activities, reporting, business and clinical needs prioritization for the electronic health record. 13. Effectively uses, interprets, applies and communicates data and information from multiple sources which effect Medical System programs. These data sources include financial reports, clinical and service quality data, human resource data and information from the external market. Effectively interprets changes in key indicators and directs key stakeholders in applying information to changes at the hospital and service line level.
14. Facilitates key stakeholder discussion and response to issues which impact clinical practice, care delivery, and business and revenue cycle. 15. Supports innovation in clinical practice, care delivery systems, and healthcare business operations by staying current with innovations through literature and continuing education in healthcare informatics, care delivery and training. Disseminates and incorporates research findings into informatics and EHR efforts.
16. Interprets organizational goals and objectives to Medical System stakeholders. Evaluates training and educational programs to measure the success of course objectives and/or program effectiveness. Maintains records and tracking tools. Communicates effectiveness to organizational and service line stakeholders.
17. Master EHR application and organizational workflows
18. Develop, lead and execute local hospital Credentialed Trainer, Super User and End User training programs. Act as a training resource for UMMS and local hospital stakeholders. Build, test, and maintain training environments for EHR applications
19. Contribute to updates to organizational or Medical System policy and procedures related to training.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in nursing or other applicable field required. Master’s degree in nursing, other clinical specialty, education, business, informatics or related field preferred.
• Where applicable for Clinical Roles, clinical licensure in the State of Maryland, or eligibility for licensure due to Compact state agreements is required.
• 3 years of clinical or direct health service industry experience required. Five years preferred.
• Informatics or Training Industry Certification recommended.
• Achieves and maintains applicable Epic or EHR application certification status within 12 months of hire to position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated success in department, hospital or Medical System leadership required.
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Must be able to present material clearly and with confidence.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel. Required to use advanced Word and excel features.
• Ability to handle frequent change and adapt to diverse environments. • Demonstrated highly effective verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated effectiveness as a group leader and participant. Demonstrated ability to collaborate and lead with multiple members of the health care and administrative leadership team.
• Demonstrated ability to think critically, develop conceptual designs for clinical and business services and plans and organizes successful projects.
Patient Safety/Regulatory Ensures patient safety in the performance of job functions and through participation in department, hospital and Medical System patient safety and regulatory initiatives.
• Takes action to correct observed risks to patient safety.
• Reports adverse events and near misses to appropriate management authority.
• Identifies possible risks in processes, procedures, devices and communicates the same to those in charge.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Process Analysis (Business)
Electronic Medical Record