Under the general direction of Controller, responsible for day-to-day management of SUS’ accounting operation and monitoring the integrity of the accounting systems in order to assure that the assets and funds are properly accounted for and supervise General ledger Senior Accountant(s), Staff Accountant...
- Assists Controller in managing the day-to-day operations of accounting department and period-end closing process;
- Assists Controller in establishing and maintaining internal controls;
- Supervises professional staff and establishes their work priorities; monitors and reviews accountants activities to ensure adherence to all applicable policies and procedures;
- Responsible for the accuracy of data in general ledger accounts; manages all aspects of the general ledger;
- Directs and/or supervises review and approval procedures for all bank reconciliations;
- Maintains expense allocation procedures; responsible for monthly allocations;
- Oversees Fixed assets recording and depreciation;
- Prepares and reviews monthly, quarterly and annually financial statements to assure the reasonableness of financial report production and data recorded in the general ledger;
- Responds to auditor’s request during annual audit and other audits;
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of various ad-hoc financial reports and analyses as needed;
- Identifies and investigates un-reconciled balances, differences in balances of general ledger and subsidiary ledgers and/or reports.
- Researches accounting issues for compliance with generally accepted accounting principles;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting preferably a Master’s Degree in accounting or CPA
- Least six (6) years accounting experience, preferably in not-for-profit environment with a proven record of advanced accounting skills.
- Ability to manage accounting operation and direct the work of others.
- Knowledge of preparation of financial statements in compliance with official guidelines and requirements.
- Ability to write comprehensive reports and communicate effectively with all levels of SUS, government, banking officials and the public.
- Excellent technology skills, including advanced proficiency with Excel and strong working knowledge of accounting software, preferable Serenic Navigator software
As a leading provider of residential and support services to individuals with special needs, Services for the UnderServed provides the resources you need to build on your experience amidst our culture of team support. Ongoing training and attention to your development help to ensure your success. Your achievements and leadership are rewarded by advancement opportunities. Our commitment to continuous quality improvement impacts the lives of our clients and communities while contributing to the development of our employees.
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
Based on Job Title, Location and Skills
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Report this job
Report this Job
Once a job has been reported, we will investigate it further. If you require a response, submit your question or concern to our
Trust and Site Security Team
Job ID: 8095
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.
Services for the UnderServed (S:US) believes every New Yorker has the right to lead a life of purpose. Since 1978, S:US has been turning this belief into reality by advocating for people with life circumstances marked by homelessness, intellectual/developmental disability, behavioral health and addiction challenges, poverty, criminal justice involvement, and trauma. Our dedicated workforce of 2,400 provides services and supports to transform the lives of 35,000 individuals and families in New York City and Long Island. Learn more about S:US, our mission, and values by visiting sus.org.
View the full profile