JOB TITLE: Associate General Counsel
JOB CODE: 10123
LOCATION: Remote *Must reside in California
The Associate General Counsel/Human Resources primarily is responsible for implementing strategic legal initiatives throughout the Credit Union related to Human Resources. The incumbent supports the General Counsel in providing executive management with practical and effective advice on Human Resources-related legal strategies and implementation, including litigation and oversight of outside counsel. The Associate General Counsel/Human Resources also collaborates closely with Human Resources partners, business partners, and other Associate General Counsel employed by the Credit Union.
The Associate General Counsel/Human Resources works approximately 20-25 hours per week, and generally is available to work every day, Monday through Friday. However, as an exempt employee, the incumbent must be flexible regarding their weekly schedule and hours worked.
This position is 100% remote. However, the incumbent is required to attend on-site meetings at Golden 1’s headquarters in Sacramento and fully participate (i.e., audio and video) in Internet-based meetings as necessary and/or directed.
In collaboration with the General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel/Human Resources advises, consults, and educates Credit Union business partners on Human Resources-related legal issues to proactively promote employee well-being and reduce the Credit Union’s potential legal, governance and compliance risk exposure.
TASKS, DUTIES, FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in overseeing Human Resources-related legal matters, including workplace safety.
- Collaborate and partner with Human Resources and related departments to provide timely, accurate, and practical legal counsel.
- Manage Human Resources-related outside litigation.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of state and federal workplace laws and regulations.
- Foster a positive and engaging work environment by promoting skill development, coaching for improvement and growth, inspiring others through words and actions, ensuring positive employee morale throughout Golden 1, and embracing the Credit Union’s mission, vision and core values.
- Assist in the direction of all Huma Resources-related Credit Union activities to ensure polices, structures, and procedures reflect best practices and comply with all federal and state regulatory requirements.
- Keep apprised of changes in Human-Resources-related laws and regulations.
- Assist in the supervision and monitoring of work performed by outside counsel, including litigation.
PHYSICAL SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EXERTION UTILIZED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE TASKS:
- Effective oral and written communication skills required to oversee all corporate legal matters.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to skillfully operate an on-line computer terminal and other standard office equipment, such as financial calculators, personal computer, facsimile machine and telephone.
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTACTS & RELATIONSHIPS:
INTERNAL: All levels of staff and management.
EXTERNAL: External counsel, regulators, external auditors, administrative agencies, and courts.
EDUCATION: Juris Doctorate from a law school accredited by the State Bar of California or the American Bar Association.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of three (3) years of experience practicing employment law, either in-house or with a law firm, preferably with a national or large regional law firm. Prior experience advising clients on California workplace laws strongly preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of workplace laws.
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills.
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to adapt to changing priorities.
- Strong business acumen and interpersonal skills.
- Experience managing other attorneys and support staff.
- Prolonged sitting throughout the workday with occasional mobility.
- Corrected vision within the normal range.
- Hearing within normal range, with or without the use of a device to enhance hearing.
- Occasional overnight travel as required.
- Active membership and good standing status with the State Bar of California.
- Current valid license to practice in California.
- Labour Laws
- Best Practices
- Computer Terminals
- Interpersonal Skills
- Business Acumen