CSS, Inc. seeks an exceptional individual to provide remote sensing and geospatial coordination and technical support for the West Coast region. The successful candidate will support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Office for Coastal Management (OCM). The position will be located in Oakland, CA.
The successful candidate will serve as the West Coast regional geospatial coordinator assisting in the development and implementation of regional activities, coordinating and directly providing geospatial technical assistance in the region, and participating in other GIS and remote sensing projects.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the list below:
- Identify partner needs and requirements and communicate that information to inform the development of OCM products and services
- Support product development for NOAA OCM as identified by regional partners and leads, including : Coastal Change Analysis Program (C-CAP) land cover data and trend information; sea-level rise visualization tools; topographic and bathymetric data; MarineCadastre.gov; Digital Coast; and the creation and analysis of geospatial data and maps
- Respond to geospatial technical assistance requests and coordinate and share information with other technical staff members outside the region
- Develop case studies of applications of NOAA data, tools, or training to address specific coastal management outcomes
- Develop contextual maps, such as ESRI's story maps, that will be hosted on the Digital Coast website
- Attend and participate in relevant geospatial and regional meetings. This includes participating in regional geospatial work groups; assisting with coordination of state and federal mapping and application efforts; developing geospatial tools, information, and regional data coordination work; and providing technical assistance
- Coordinate projects and programs in the region with a focus on helping coastal states and communities make informed decisions for the use of their lands and waters
- Identify relationship-building opportunities in coordination with the West Coast team and other National Ocean Service and NOAA regional programs
Regular travel throughout the region is required as well as to Charleston, South Carolina, and Silver Spring, Maryland.
- M.S. in geography, remote sensing, GIS, or related field
- Self-starter with ability to work in a small team environment without direct day-to-day, on-site supervision
- Ability to understand coastal management issues and use geospatial technologies to help address these issues
- Strong communication and organizational skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with management, colleagues, and external partners
- Coursework and experience using geospatial analysis tools such as ERDAS, ESRI ArcGIS, eCognition, Global Mapper or similar
- Experience in analysis of land cover data, geospatial imagery, and/or elevation data
- Ability to pass a National Agency Check (NACI) and maintain it throughout the duration of employment
- Knowledge of coastal and marine programs in the region and within NOAA
- Knowledge of state and federal agencies, tribes, academia, and nongovernmental organizations
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication, and facilitation skills
CSS, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Esri Gis (Software)
Geographic Information Systems
Arc Gis (Gis Software)