Shipping Cooler Supervisor-Oakhurst DairyPortland, Maine
From the original Oakhurst Dairy, founded by the Bennett family on Woodford Street in Portland in 1921, to the modern 100% farmer-owned dairy on Forest Avenue in Portland, Oakhurst has always stood for The Natural Goodness of Maine. It's about more than milk. It's about standing up for what you believe and doing what's right.
In 2014 Oakhurst was acquired by Dairy Farmers of America (DFA), a national dairy farmer-owned cooperative. Oakhurst is a wholly owned subsidiary of DFA and continues to operate independently.
Oakhurst Dairy is looking for someone with manufacturing experience who will directly supervises and oversees all activities in the warehouse / shipping department. This candidate should have a passion for development and training while ensuring departmental policies, procedures, regulations and safety practices are adhered too throughout the shifts. In addition, the shipping supervisor works with the crew to meet the requirements of established schedules and to achieve continuous improvement in results of Key Performance Indicators.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Actively promotes safe work behaviors and holds self and direct reports accountable for following safety rules and regulations. Conducts accident/injury investigations and sends reports of injury to HR in a timely manner.
* Supervises all phases of shipping and/or warehouse operations including shipping schedules, loading operations and material handling activities.
* Ensures that procedures are followed so that finished products are loaded accurately.
* Maintains inventory and product loss control, coordinates timely and accurate shipping and receiving, and ensures safety/operational guidelines are met
* Works with Plant Management and other Supervisory Staff to assign, direct, review and monitor work of supervised staff to maximize productivity warehouse and shipping department
* Schedules, assigns work, and provides clear direction to cooler employees. Coordinates the work efforts of employees to ensure that outgoing semi-trailers are loaded accurately and on time to meet customer order requirements. Recommends improvements to reduce cost and drive productivity within the department while achieving the targeted Sales to Service Goals
* Knowledge of safe operating procedures for power industrial trucks, including pallet jacks, fork trucks and clamp trucks
* Analyzes and resolves work problems, or assists workers in solving work problems
* Maintains time and shipping records as required. Prepares reports for management review.
* Ensures the cooler work area is clean and organized at all times
* Collaborates with other supervisors to coordinate activities of individual departments
* Leads by example with the Company's Code of Ethics. This includes following company policies, standards and specifications
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Education Skills and Experience
* Excellent verbal, and written communication skills.
* Previous supervisory experience in a shipping and/or warehouse environment.
* Proficient in computer skills including Microsoft Word, Office and Excel.
* Ability to perform data entry and spreadsheet modifications.
* Attention to detail with the ability to manage change effectively.
* Ability to work well with a team and effectively collaborate with team members
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
* Full-time, with revolving day off
* Warehouse Environment: work in a refrigerated environment at 35oF-40oF
* Must be able to stand for up to eight hours, with standard breaks during a shift, and work in confined areas around product in the warehouse
* Must be able to lift 40 lbs without assistance and carry it up to 6 feet during the course of a shift
* Must be able to push, control, and bring to a safe stop fully-loaded, wheeled bossie carts, which can weigh up to approximately 700 lbs, repeatedly during a shift
* Must be able to pull and safely control stacks of 6 cases of product, weighing up to approximately 250 lbs, up to 10 feet using a special hook tool repeatedly during a shift
An Equal Opportunity Employer
- Attention To Detail
- Business Process Improvement
- Data Entry
- Materials Management