Collaboration drives Nordson’s success as a market leader in Industrial Precision Solutions and Advanced Technology. Our employees thrive in an environment where we help each other reach our personal best and enable our company to continuously improve and grow, and our customers to succeed. You will find Nordson employees sharing our success by giving back in the communities around the world where we live and work.
Nordson MEDICAL designs, engineers and manufactures complex devices and components with applications in wound healing, surgical and minimally invasive, fluid management, pulmonology and interventional and structural heart. Our pioneering Advanced Polymers team was the first to manufacture and supply medical balloons to the medical device industry. Nordson MEDICAL works with doctors, start-ups and large medical companies around the world at any point in the product lifecycle, from concept to launch and beyond.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop innovative solutions to complex engineering challenges through Technology Development approx. 15% of time
- Plan, schedule, and co-ordinate detailed phases of the engineering work in top projects
- Coordinate cross-functional team member activities to meet specified customer and corporate design, manufacturing and quality requirements.
- Plans, schedules and coordinates detailed phases of the engineering work; devise new approaches and performs work effectively and efficiently to include a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements, minimizing cost, and ease of manufacturing.
- Design and develop innovative products from concept to production that provides sustained competitive advantage to Nordson MEDICAL.
- Displays originality and judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Coordinates appropriate communications with Nordson MEDICAL customers to facilitate transfer of customer requirements and approval.
- Combines broad knowledge of design skills, engineering principles, manufacturing techniques and analytical skills to create new products, and/or improvise existing products, which meet or exceed product requirements.
- Refines technical data received from marketing & sales, customers and manufacturing team members, conducts appropriate evaluation, and creates detailed project scope, schedule, product specifications and risk analysis as per Nordson MEDICAL.
- Provides accurate and timely project status updates to appropriate Nordson MEDICAL personnel.
- Coordinates efforts of Nordson MEDICAL cross-functional team such as sales, marketing, manufacturing, tooling, quality and regulatory which is responsible for all aspects of launching new projects from concept to volume production
- Establishes and Maintains project schedules, current vs. baseline. Responsible for on-time launch of assigned projects.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to establish and implement strategies consistent with NPD and organizational growth objectives and core competencies.
- Develop detailed engineering drawings, fixtures and gages for new products.
- Utilize various prototyping methods for performing evaluation testing of prototypes to prove or disprove established hypotheses.
- Utilize input from all departments from within Nordson MEDICAL in the creation and implementation of Design FMEA, Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DFMA). Assist the manufacturing engineer in the creation of Process FMEA.
- Creates appropriate project plan/documentation to adequately create a Design History Record (DHR) of all projects within the guidelines of Nordson MEDICAL procedures and practices. Oversees the development and maintenance of appropriate work instructions and ISO procedures.
- Develop test protocols for internal or external use; design and build test equipment; and perform design validation resulting in products that meets customer, design and manufacturing requirements.
- Manage outside contract resources to ensure on-time delivery of quality products and/or services.
- Available on occasions to work on weekends, holidays and off-hours to support company requirements.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or a University in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline is required. M.S in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline is desired.
- Track record of creating innovative products. Minimum of 3 - 5 years’ experience is required developing new and innovative concepts for complex parts and/or assemblies.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in general engineering field is required.
- A minimum of one (1) years of experience in designing and manufacturing plastic injection molded products is required.
- Familiarity with GMP medical design and manufacturing principles is desired.
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Plastic Injection Mold tooling manufacturing techniques and practices.
- Strong organization skills: ability to multi-task meeting deadlines to ensure superior responsiveness.
- Remains calm under pressure; Strong decision-making skills in response to high pressure situations.
- Proven change agent: skill with enabling change, strong influencing abilities particularly with frontline teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Possess good interpersonal communication skills to interface with customers as well as sales, marketing, engineering, manufacturing and tooling departments. As such, adequate experience in working with customers is required.
- Knowledgeable of New Product Development phase-gate processes.
- Strong experience in developing new and innovative concepts that meet customer requirements.
- Knowledgeable of rapid prototyping methods to evaluate design and process requirements.
- Hold patents and knowledgeable of patenting processes.
- Experience in application of human factor interface design (HFID) in design and development of products is desired.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical information. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to customers, top management, or boards of directors.
- Must be able to read and interpret mechanical drawings, and understand the application of geometric tolerances. Must be able to use inspection devices (i.e. CMM, microscopes, calipers, gage pins, optical scope, etc.)
- Knowledgeable of advanced mathematical concepts such as statistical analysis, extrapolation and interpolation of data sets. Knowledgeable of mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory and factor analysis.
- Possess good analytical and reasoning skills. Must be able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Experience in use of one or more of these software tools (i.e. Solid Works, PDMWorks, Solid Edge, MS Project, and FEA Software such as SW Simulation, FlowWorks, and Plastics etc.) is required.
- Proficient in use of typical desktop hardware and software (i.e. Dell, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.). Must be able to use advanced functions in most standard office applications.
- Proficient in use and navigation of a Windows operating system in a networked environment.
- Upon completion of training, employee must be able to successfully navigate through IFS (i.e. ERP Systems, Oracle, or SAP) including proficiency in the Document Management, Project Management and Enterprise Management modules.
- Customer Service Oriented
- Results Oriented/Accountability
- Professional Work Relations/Teamwork
- Knowledge of Job/Comprehension/Job Skills
- Technical Professional Knowledge
- Computer Skills
- Mechanical Skills
- Goal Achievement & Objective Setting
- Analysis/Analytical Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Project Management
- Risk Taking
- Critical Thinking Skill/Reasoning
- Cost Consciousness
- Leverages Technology
- Stress Tolerance/Ability to Work Under
- Problem Solving
- Planning & Organizing
- Time Management Skills
- Safety Awareness
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
The characteristics listed below are representative of the physical demands required by an individual to successfully perform the essential duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Employee may be required to remain stationary, stand, sit and/or bend frequently or for extended periods of time.
- Employee will frequently be required to actively listen and exchange verbal and written information.
- Employee may be required to observe and assess information received via computer.
The characteristics listed below are representative of the work environment typically encountered by an individual while performing the essential duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Must have reliable, appropriate transportation.
Base Salary Range for this position is $ 67,500 to $ 87,500 and bonus target is 3%; shift premium may be available depending on shift associated with the specific job opportunity. Benefits include Medical, Rx, Vision, Dental, and Health Savings Account (HSA), Retirement and Security benefits including 401k and Life Insurance. In addition to Paid Time off and paid Holidays, each employee receives 16 hours paid time each calendar year to perform volunteer services for Nordson-sponsored events. Ample opportunities for giving exist at Nordson including our Matching Gifts Program.
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.
- Analysis Of Variance
- Assembly And Installation
- Attention To Detail
- Coaching And Mentoring