Job Title: Day Services - Direct Support Professional (DSP)
Job ID: 430-01
Posting Date: 07/13/2021
Job Closing Date: Until Filled
Pay Grade: NON-EXEMPT
Work Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm
Hiring Departments: Day Services
With a rich history spanning nearly 6 decades, Hi-Hope Service Center is a Lawrenceville based nonprofit organization that supports individuals with disabilities and their families to live rich, full, active lives. Hi-Hope is dedicated to enhancing the capacity of individuals with disabilities to live, work, and participate as active members of their communities. We will enable each individual to achieve their maximum personal independence while demonstrating excellence in service and support. In addition to day services and supported employment, Hi-Hope supports 5 homes located throughout Gwinnett County. Home to a 4 individuals each, these homes are staffed 24 hours a day by Hi-Hope employees who are committed to helping individuals live healthy, safe, fun, rich lives.
About the Position
Being a Direct Support Professional (DSP) is about teaching, mentoring and supporting each person in a way that honors and respects their own preferences and needs. It is a job that requires a commitment to customer service with a strong sense of compassion, a willingness to work hard each and every day and a desire to work as part of a team. Hi-Hope is committed to its employees and their professional development and success. We believe that direct support professionals are both the backbone and heart of what we do and their success is the success of everyone. Our focus is on activity – both out in the community and while at home. Although physically and at times emotionally demanding, we believe it a rewarding position that has the ability to truly make a difference in people’s lives.
If you have never worked as a DSP, please take a moment to watch the video “[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Day Services - Direct Support Professional (DSP).”
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities:
(Duties are illustrative only, incumbent may perform some or all of these duties or other job-related duties as assigned)
- Consistent regular attendance and punctuality for scheduled shift.
- Must be willing to work at Day Service location or day program setting when required and cover shifts to meet staffing needs.
- Constant supervision of individuals / clients in the Day Services program or in the community.
- Responsible for guiding and supervising residents throughout shift including overseeing physical care and management of resident behavior.
- Provide varying levels of personal care assistance and report any changes to the supervisor or nurse on duty.
- Frequent documentation of client’s daily activities, behavior and interaction with others, and response to prompts given etc.
- Must transport using company vehicle as needed to community activities, shopping, etc. as needed.
- Must be capable of lifting 50 pounds or more when needed which consists of pushing and pulling 50 pounds when assisting in the operation of adult size wheelchairs (electric and manual) and frequent bending.
- Assist with ambulation and transfers using proper techniques and equipment as needed.
- Follow principles of infection control and Universal Precautions.
- Perform assigned direct care support to adult clients with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Train and assist clients with daily living skills, monitor progress and goal attainment in the community and/or a group home setting.
- Schedule and participate in social, leisure and recreational activities with clients as designated in their goals.
- Maintain daily documentation record for each assigned client (tracking sheets, Learning Logs, etc.)
- Supervise one to ten clients as assigned either individually or within a group setting.
- Perform CPR/First Aid when needed.
- Maintain safe, clean, and attractive environment for clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 12 months experience working with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Georgia registered CNA
- Basic Computer skills
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must have documentation confirming high school diploma or high school equivalent diploma
- Must have a valid Georgia Driver’s license and have operated a vehicle for three (3) years
- Must maintain at least liability vehicle insurance coverage of $25,000/$50,000/$25,000 (required if hired)
- Position requires a FBI Criminal History Check
- Must successfully pass pre-employment physical, drug screen, and have a negative TB test result.
- Hi-Hope is a Drug Free Workplace (Pre-Employment & Random drug testing is enforced
Hi Hope Service Center
Main Center - Lawrenceville, GA
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- First Aid
- Drug Testing