QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or equivalent required. Associate of Arts Degree from an accredited school preferred. A minimum three years of experience in recreation management/physical education and a substantial experience working with youth. Must possess a valid in-State Driver’s License and meet Company insurability requirements.
Physical requirements include sitting, standing, climbing, walking, lifting, pulling and/or pushing, carrying, reaching, stooping and crouching. Demonstrates the ability to lift 40 pounds and / or the ability to assess the lift load in order to ask for necessary assistance.
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION:
Supervises and manages the Recreation Department. Serves as the Center Shift Manager/Manager on Duty as required.
- Follows all integrity guidelines and procedures and ensures no manipulation of student data.
- Oversees, plans and manages a comprehensive and diverse recreation program.
- Coordinates recreation activities with CPP and Social Development to include evening programming.
- Participates as an active member of the Center’s HEALs (Healthy Eating, Active Lifestyles) Committee. May serve as the chairperson of the HEALs Committee.
- Works closely with the Social Development Director/Manager to coordinate and supervise the Center’s extended training day program.
- Coordinates the Center’s Leisure Time Employment programs.
- Coordinates recreation and leadership activities/programs with Center and local community resources.
- Coordinates staff coverage to ensure student areas are supervised.
- Works in partnership with Dorm Life/Residential Living and Safety/Security staff to effectively supervise and manage the student population. Provides supervision and coverage on dorms, at the Welcome Center/Security Gate, on the grounds and other areas as needed and directed.
- Ensures safe practices and program compliance within prescribed safety guidelines.
- Documents student participation and accountability during recreation activities.
- Maintains inventory of equipment and material and controls their use. Recommends purchase of specific equipment. Performs repairs on equipment as needed.
- Responsible for managing the Recreation budget.
- Responsible for the overall appearance, condition and organization of the recreation department facilities.
- Ensures overall program compliance with Department of Labor, Company and Job Corps guidelines and directives.
- Interviews, recommends for hire, disciplines, recommends for termination and evaluates the performance of the employees in the Recreation Department. Fills vacant positions in a timely manner.
- Ensures all staff adhere to rest and meal break requirements.
- Employs sound time-management and delegation skills. Holds staff accountable for producing quality work, develops staff for career progression and disciplines staff that fail to meet goals.
- Provides required/supplemental training for new and current employees.
- Effectively motivates, empowers and requires staff to perform his/her job responsibilities. Motivates and manages staff to work effectively, creates a supportive work environment, recognizes staff accomplishments and proactively addresses staff performance concerns.
- Develops Center-beneficial linkages within the community for education, employment, Career Technical Training and WBL. Promotes a positive image of the Center and Job Corps and establishes meaningful relationships with elected officials.
- Mentors, monitors and models the Career Success Standards as required by the PRH.
- Provides high-quality supervision and management for the student population. Takes swift and appropriate action and positively influences student behavior. Shows respect and courtesy to students and holds them accountable for their actions and behavior.
- Provides quality programs and services for students and ensures that quality is maintained and student needs are met. Pursues improvement and enhancement of programs and services.
- Exchanges ideas and information, both orally and in writing, in a clear and concise manner and contributes meaningfully to group efforts by offering relevant ideas and knowledge. Provides quality and timely information to DOL/Company when requested.
- Effectively articulates thoughts and ideas. Identifies problems, analyzes causes and evaluates appropriate solutions prior to taking or recommending actions. Follows up to ensure prompt/appropriate action is taken and ensures that problems are, in fact, corrected.
- Works in partnership with staff from all Departments to ensure effective supervision and services are provided to students.
- Accepts direction and supervision from the Center Director/Center Duty Officer/Shift Manager to include assignments to temporarily perform job responsibilities of other departments and positions.
- Other duties as assigned.