To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Newport, RI
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Instructional Developer/Technical Trainer
Alion Science and Technology Corporation • Newport, RI
Posted 1 month ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The Instructional Developer/Technical Trainer will be part of a team providing IETM and training support to Naval Undersea Warfare Center Code 85 for fleet UUV operators. Under general supervision, the Technical Trainer is involved with developing technical courses to meet training needs and delivering training to end-users. Conducts training needs assessment, vendor selection and evaluation of training programs making changes to the curriculum and course content as appropriate. Maintains up to date technical resource library.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Organizes daily work to meet production schedules.
- Designs and develops technical instruction; developing moderately complex courses.
- Develops outlines, objectives, graphics, course content, exercises, tests and documentation.
- Researches technical concepts to develop course content.
- Presents material visually and through multimedia programs
- Maintains records of training activities, participant progress, and program effectiveness.
- Interfaces with project leaders, subject matter experts, clients, instructional designers, graphic designers, and the application team.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Depending on the size, goals, and nature of the organization, trainers may differ considerably in their responsibilities and in the methods they use. Training methods include on-the-job training, operating schools that duplicate shop conditions for trainees prior to putting them on the shop floor, apprenticeship training, classroom training, and electronic learning, multimedia programs, distance learning, satellite training, other computer-aided instructional technologies, videos, simulators, conferences, and workshops.
- Training specialists conduct and supervise training and development programs for employees and external customers. Planning and program development is an important part of the training specialist’s job. In order to identify and assess training needs, trainers research all problems. The goal of training is to help employees develop new skills and enhance productivity while improving the quality of work. Training specialists set up teaching materials and lesson plans prior to the class. They also involve the class and issue completion certificates at the end of the class.
- Training specialists must plan, organize, and direct a wide range of training activities. Trainers respond to corporate and worker service requests. They consult with onsite supervisors regarding available performance improvement services. In government-supported training programs, training specialists function as case managers. They first assess the training needs of clients and then guide them through the most appropriate training method.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Training and Development or related discipline plus 2 to 4 years of directly related experience. Master’s degree preferred. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the training and development field.
- In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for comparable applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience for positions involving new technology or labor market shortages as reflected by market survey data.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Must have the ability to work as a part of a team.
- Moderate degree of creativity and self-directed work is required.
- Strong editing skills; attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications.
- A SECRET clearance will be required upon employment.
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Alion will provide a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans who need assistance to apply. Please visit the Alion Careers site for more information
U.S. Citizenship Required.