The Geographic Information System (GIS) Analyst is responsible for producing cartographic outputs and data sets for customers to supplement operational needs and to facilitate decision making by members of the Company. Collaborate with and support numerous customers within the organization and respond quickly to multiple requests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply GIS processes and procedures to obtain project information and ensure that the data is accurate and complete when assisting other departments with their business needs.
- Create map products and data outputs on a daily basis that are easy to understand, and meet customer and business expectations for data accuracy, content, currency, and overall intent.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with internal customers and other GIS team members through collaboration, for instance in technical review, information sharing, and dialogue.
- Interact with spatial and non-spatial data using GIS software and perform analysis to better understand the data. Identify and capture spatial data and information. Investigate and answer questions from the GIS team and customers, and generate the results or map.
- Ensure the highest quality of data by identifying errors, omissions, or inconsistencies in the data that could result in ill-informed business decisions.
- Perform data conversion and manipulation between GIS, AutoCAD, Petra, and field acquired data, to use for future data and web mapping application.
- Geo-reference existing maps and digitize geographic features.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow industry and technology trends as it relates to GIS concepts, software, and data/system integration to stay current and well informed.
- Assist non-GIS users in the use of the Company’s web mapping application and how to find data in the application.
- Provide support to other GIS employees and team members with data compilation needs and user acceptance testing of software, scripts and geospatial tools, as necessary.
- Analyze legal descriptions and land agreements for the purposes of generating polygon data.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, Licensure
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, Computer Science, or Natural Resources discipline with a concentration in Geographic Information Systems.
Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure
- At least two (2) years of experience utilizing GIS.
- Prior Oil and Gas Industry related experience.
- Prior Land experience.
- Experience using Global Positioning System (GPS) field collection devices.
Required Core Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of databases, company asset information, and spatial analysis techniques.
- Understanding of ESRI’s ArcGIS Desktop application.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Attention to detail and the ability to effectively communicate with individuals inside and outside of the department.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions and be able to improvise as most project variables are not always the same.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and be able to change directions quickly.
- Organizational skills and ability to correctly archive and maintain structured data storage.
- Knowledge of cartography principles and an understanding of how to display desired results on a map for a diverse customer base, ranging from external customers to the Company’s Senior Management team.
- Ability to be flexible and collaborative, with the willingness to work with individuals that have different styles and approaches to arrive at optimal product outcomes.
- Basic knowledge of spatial relationships and data dependencies including database query language, to coordinate system projection and transformation.
- Familiarity with Petra, Python, ArcSDE, ArcGIS for Server, Portal for ArcGIS is preferred.
- Knowledge of land information is preferred.
- Functions as an individual contributor with no supervisory responsibilities
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Job is performed in an office setting with exposure to computer screens and requires regular use of a computer, keyboard, mouse, and multi-line telephone system.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- Be able to bend, stoop, crouch, etc. while hanging maps.
- Minimal travel may be required to other locations.
- Minimal travel to Company’s field operations. Approximately 5% of time in field.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.