Contribute. Grow. Lead…with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2017 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Chemical Operator with our Chemical Plant located in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Essential Job Duties:
- Maintain protection of the environment and the health and safety of our employees, customers, and the communities in which we operate and/or transport our products as our highest priority.
- Conduct routine operating inspections of the unit, troubleshoot operational problems and respond to area emergencies or to changing operational situations.
- Operate equipment in the field and monitor process operating conditions through the use of instrumentation to regulate temperatures, pressures, concentration and flow of chemicals through the process system for prescribed reaction with critical limits. All must be accomplished according to standard operating procedures and in support of the safe operation and environmental integrity of the plant.
- Maintain log of readings, lab results, shift production requirements and equipment issues to record daily activity and provide for adequate shift relief.
- Initiate work requests, perform minor maintenance within capabilities and prepare equipment for maintenance.
- Prepare equipment for maintenance work such as locking out equipment, preparing permits and verifying equipment.
- Make minor repairs to equipment and initiate maintenance action when needed utilizing the SAP work notification process.
- Notify supervision, maintenance, engineering and other auxiliary personnel regarding equipment malfunctions and troubleshoot process issues as needed.
- High School diploma or completed GED.
- Process Technology Degree OR minimum of 2 years relevant work experience (e.g. production, loading, or unit maintenance) in a chemical plant or manufacturing environment.
- Proficiency in math, reading comprehension, and mechanical reasoning with strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work a rotating shift; weekends; holidays; overtime; and respond to callouts.
- Ability and willingness to serve as member of Emergency Response Team.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Physical requirements: Must be able to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
“Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.”
Complex Problem Solving
Troubleshooting (Problem Solving)