Ferguson is currently seeking candidates for Accounting positions out of our corporate offices in Newport News, VA. All offer professional hands on training and an opportunity to work at a successful, large organization on the Peninsula. Our accountants are well regarded and recognized for their contribution. We ask for a commitment to develop you, and growth and promotional opportunities will be available!
JOB FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position works in partnership with Field Finance, Field Management & Operations, and Central Finance to manage and maintain the financial and accounting records for all business units within the assigned Performance Business Unit (PBU).
- Develop strong business partnerships with Field Finance, which includes Finance Directors, Senior Finance Business Partners and Finance Business Partners, with Field Management and Operations, and with Central Finance to be viewed as the accounting subject matter expert for the PBU.
- Maintain the integrity and accuracy of the financial and accounting records for the assigned PBU in accordance with Wolseley’s and Ferguson’s accounting policies and ACE controls, while keeping the focus on how the core accounting processes impact the “bottom line” of the PBU. To deliver this service, must perform a variety of professional accounting functions, which include reviewing the revenue and expense accounts, analyzing balance sheet accounts, maintaining specialized accounting processes related to the business, answering accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting accounting data, and providing prompt and courteous service.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the PBU businesses and operations. Deep expertise in accounting principles, concepts, processes and methods affecting the balance sheet and income statement of the business units within the PBU, which includes a strong understanding of expense allocations; period expense methodology versus accrual method; accounting for prepaids, vendor co-op, customer rebates, customer trips, expense accruals, capitalization policies, depreciation accruals, pass through litigation charges, general insurance, real estate and personal property taxes, etc.; proper coding of expense accounts; full understanding of subsidiary ledgers and financial systems that record data in the general ledger; and others.
- Run GL expense account queries throughout the month to review expenses and to maintain table with large expenses per assigned thresholds for documenting variances. Additionally, save GL queries in secured PBU folders and provide to FMO team to review expenses among locations.
- Review 10-15 consolidated BU monthly reports (P&L’s). Work in partnership with other Accountants in the Central Accounting team to ensure the monthly reports are reviewed for all business units in the PBU.
- Coach and guide the accountants within the team who support the financial services provided to the PBU.
- Reconcile and/or review at least two monthly consolidated balance sheet accounts, which includes the proper monitoring of the accounting processes involved in each account, maintaining applicable SOP’s, and communicating/training the field and other departments as needed. Note: Account assignments are subject to change.
- Prepare consolidated P&L account analysis, which includes the proper monitoring of the accounting processes involved, review of proper GL coding for expenses hitting these accounts, preparing reclassification journal entries when needed, maintaining applicable SOP’s, and communicating/training the field and other departments as needed.
- Liaise with field finance business partners, branch operations, branch and distribution center management, acquisitions, HQ departments, IT, SSC and others as necessary to solve open balance sheet transactions, research expense fluctuations and address operational issues affecting the PBU.
- Meet monthly and year-end GL closing deadlines.
- Address tough issues calmly and confidently despite uncertainty and rapidly changing situations.
- Develop and maintain excellent professional relationships with all associates.
- Support data requests for Corporate and external audits.
- Perform various ad hoc requests and other duties assigned by management.
TECHNICAL AND PROFESSIONAL SKILLS:
- Minimum of 3-6 years Finance/Accounting experience in the following areas:
- Monthly General Ledger closing
- Review of consolidated Income Statement and operating statements including fluctuation commentaries
- Balance Sheet account analyses, including but not limited to, bank reconciliations, inter-company accounting, miscellaneous receivables, suspense accounts, prepaids, deposits, accruals, etc.
- Monthly and recurring journal entries
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration ore equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrate strong relationship building skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Team player with a collaborative and flexible style. Strong coaching skills
- Systems savvy and experience with a larger ERP system, such as PeopleSoft or Oracle.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and experience working with and analyzing large amounts of data
- Ability to identify and implement process improvements
- Creative, flexible, self-starter and critical thinker
- Organized with outstanding attention to detail and accuracy, with a passion for numbers and their practical accounting application.
Ferguson is dedicated to providing meaningful benefits programs and products to our associates and their families—geared toward benefits, wellness, financial protection and retirement savings. Ferguson offers a competitive benefits package which includes: medical, dental, vision, retirement savings with company match, paid leave (vacation, sick, personal and holiday), employee assistance programs, associate discounts, community involvement opportunities and much more!
The Company is an equal opportunity employer as well as a government contractor that shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a), which prohibits discrimination against qualified protected Veterans and the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(A), which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability.