Solar Technician Brief Description of SunnovaSunnova is a different kind of Power Company, offering solar and storage services to homeowners within the United States and its territories through our network of local solar dealers and solar standard community homebuilders. Our mission is powering energy independence TM and changing the energy industry. At Sunnova, we believe in achieving more by working together; our diverse workforce allows an inclusive and innovative culture to power our long-term growth. Our people focus on thinking beyond traditional limits – and to do that, we need the creativity and energy of every person. Come be a part of the fastest growing segment of the energy industry! The Solar Technician Position
Sunnova Energy is searching for Solar Technician to join our Maintenance and Service group. Sunnova owns and maintains a distributed fleet of residential solar systems across 30+ states and several U.S. territories. All customer service calls are handled in-house. We utilize a highly skilled team of electricians as well as third-party service partners to maintain and service our fleet.
The Solar Technician's primary responsibility is to support Operations and Maintenance activities by quickly responding to solar system performance maintenance, ensuring optimally performing solar systems, and providing excellent customer service to our customers.
The Technician positions fall in a 5-tier structure, based on technical experience, competencies, licensure status, equipment training and competencies, certifications, and defined leadership behaviors. Selected candidate(s) will be eligible for a role in the appropriate tier.
Solar Technician Responsibilities
- Utilizes knowledge, skills, and electrical testing equipment to evaluate systems accurately for maintenance, warranty repairs, design, and other purposes; diagnoses and repairs solar and storage systems and electrical components
- Provides training to service staff on system operation such as how to identify, resolve, and repair issues etc.
- Completes quality assurance inspections, documents corrective actions, and ensures completion of corrective items within defined timelines
- Submits service reports immediately following work order completion
- Identifies solutions to resolve technical design problems, including electrical systems used during construction; collaborates closely with manufacturers and engineering team
- Develops and uses knowledge of all roof types and the appropriate flashings and mounts to use on those roofs
- Manages vehicle material stock and equipment inventory
- Maintains compliance with all Sunnova Safety policies and practices
Customer Service and Dealer Relationships
- Provides training to customers about service process, system usage, system operation, performance, and maintenance
- Manages and resolves customer maintenance, service tasks and issues in a timely manner.
- Documents progress and other key communications to customers and relevant Sunnova employees using appropriate software
- Develops positive and professional relationships with dealers, service-only providers, and channel partners within an assigned service area
- High School Diploma (or GED)
- 1+ years’ electrical experience
- Current, valid Driver’s license with acceptable Motor Vehicle Report
- Proficient in speaking, reading and writing English
- Working knowledge of the National Electric Code (NEC)
- CA Electrical Trainee Card or ability to get one
- OSHA 30 Certified
- Formal apprenticeship and/or vocational training experience
- 1+ years’ experience in the solar electric industry
- 3+ years’ electrical experience
- Bilingual, English and Spanish
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office
- Organized and maintains a professional appearance
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Reads and interprets blueprints, schematics, and wiring diagrams
- Location varies depending on job site
- Estimated 10% travel time
- Able to work an adjusting schedule and respond to emergencies
- Driving Required; Valid Driver’s License and Motor Vehicle Report required
- Long hours spent outside of residential rooftops, driving to customer residencies, some ground and rooftop work
- Various weather conditions include cold and snowy, hot and humid, and everything in between; must be comfortable working in different environments
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds; assistance may be provided for oversized items
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, and drive for up to 8 hours at a time
- Work postures include reaching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, squatting, crawling, bending, twisting, climbing, and handling objects above/below the shoulders
Sunnova offers a generous employee reward package that includes:
- $41.50+ including overtime
- Comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, healthcare flexible spending account, and 401(k) with employer match.
- Paid time off, including 10 holidays and Paid Parental Leave
- Cell phone allowance for many roles
- Free access to onsite fitness center in Houston and/or discounted fitness memberships through health provider
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are selected for a position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.