Police Telecommunications Operator
St. Edward's University invites applications for the position of Police Telecommunications Operator. The Police Telecommunications Operator will be responsible for directing the activities of field personnel and providing patrol units with actionable information. The individual must be ready, able and willing at all times to take command of a particular situation, (if no other authority is available) and function under stressful circumstances to communicate effectively and direct a number of simultaneous activities without confusion. This position is responsible for providing prompt and accurate information to law enforcement and assists the public by giving information and other aid as needed.
For consideration (Minimum and Preferred Qualifications):
* Currently licensed by TCOLE with a Basic Telecommunications license or at least 2 years' prior public safety dispatch experience preferred.
* High school graduation or GED. Some college or a bachelor's degree preferred.
* Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
* Current and valid Class C Texas Motor Vehicle Operators License throughout employment.
* Ability to obtain and maintain State of Texas mandated licenses & certifications and training requirements as directed by Federal Communications Commission, State of Texas and Federal agencies and Departmental policy and regulations.
* Must pass an extensive background investigation, fingerprinting, psychological, medical, and physical test.
* Not currently under indictment for any criminal offense;
* Never been convicted of an offense above a Class C misdemeanor
* Never been convicted of any family violence offense;
* Not prohibited by state or federal law from operating a motor vehicle
* Ability to use a multi-line phone system.
* Basic computer knowledge of Microsoft Office products, such as Word, Excel, and Access.
* Thinks and acts promptly; using good judgment in emergencies; analyzes situation quickly and accurately and takes or suggests an effective course of action while maintaining a calm demeanor.
* Must be able to communicate and be understood clearly in person, on the telephone, by radio and in writing.
* Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
* Ability to comply with workplace guidelines and attendance requirements.
* After training, ability and skill in the use of police radio equipment, telephones, and accurate data entry.
* Ability to sit for long periods of time.
This is a full-time benefits eligible position. Must be able to work 24/7/365 on any assigned shift with varying days off. This position is considered "Mission Critical." In order to meet the needs of the University and of the department, shifts are subject to change on short notice and Police Telecommunications Operators must be available for recall to the university in emergency situations, such as man-made or natural disasters. The department is organized along a standard law enforcement model: telecommunications operators must wear a uniform on duty; are subject to inspection and a formal chain of command.
* Receive and provide response to emergency and informational telephone calls including emergency lines, radiophone, telephone for the hearing impaired.
* Initiate and receive public safety radio traffic using a multi-band law enforcement network to dispatch police officers; monitor frequencies of area law enforcement agencies; maintain logs according to regulations.
* Thinks and acts promptly in emergencies, analyzes situation quickly and accurately and takes or suggests an effective course of action. Operates multi-line phone system, police radio and computer aided dispatch system in concert
* Maintains records of incoming calls for assistance and all police/patrol activities.
* Dispatches officers to situations requiring police response.
* Monitors CCTV system. Completes appropriate reports.
* Communicates with other police/fire/ambulance agencies, and operates various computer terminals including the CAD, "Computer Aided Dispatch" system. Performs related duties as required.
For detailed information, please scroll to the bottom of the page to download the job description.
The University offers an excellent TOTAL REWARDS package!
Medical & Rx Coverage - UMR (HSA & FSA Available)
Dental - Sunlife Dental
Vision - Sunlife Vision Plan
Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance
Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Annual Leave & Paid Sick Leave
Retirement Plan - (TIAA) Employee 5%/Employer Match 7%
Services & Discounts
An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at; [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Police Telecommunications Operator
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit an online application at; [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Police Telecommunications Operator
Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references. No Calls Please. Applications will not be considered if it is missing any of these three items.
In your cover letter, please describe your lived experiences that prepare you to contribute to diversity and inclusion at St. Edward's University.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students.
OTHER ITEMS TO KNOW
We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
- Data Entry
- Hardworking And Dedicated
- Law Enforcement