To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Pleasanton, CA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Senior Health & Safety Specialist
Abbott • Pleasanton, CA
Posted 22 days ago
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
We are seeking a high caliber Senior EHS Engineer who will work under general supervision of the CN EHS Leader and organize/plan program support activities including EHS Business Plan process, site sustainability efforts, and overall EHS business improvement. In addition, the EHS Engineer will lead and support site management in the development, implementation and monitoring of programs and policies to ensure compliance with federal, state and local environmental, health and safety regulations. Finally, but not limited to, the EHS Engineer will facilitate the investigation and timely identification of incident root cause and corrective action and take an active role in prevention initiatives and efforts.
Impact this role will have on Abbott:
- Support development and completion of weekly and monthly reports including but not limited to weekly safety incidents, Monthly Operations Review, sustainability data (waste, water, energy) and other ad hoc reports/presentations as needed.
- Coordinate and oversee EHS training programs. Serve as key point of contact for training organization for EHS training programs and content with support for global EHS staff.
- Coordinate and oversee EHS documents, SOPs, Work Instructions and forms. Coordinate the development, update, peer review and approval of all EHS documentation.
- Take a lead role in the coordination and management of information in the Action Management Corporate IT platform. Check records daily to ensure accurate, complete, and timely information is contained in system. Ensure all records are closed out completely and on time.
- In support of global EHS process and be the primary point of contact for all site EHS data.
- Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
Your experience(s), education and knowledge will further expand Abbott’s marketplace success:
- Education and/or Experience: B.S. Degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related field. M.S preferred or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the Health and Safety field with both hands on and program management experience.
- Ability to navigate and interpret EHS regulations
- Expected to function with little direction and be able to independently drive complex projects to completion.
- Mastery of the technical skills necessary to perform traditional EHS duties but at a higher more independent level.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects and daily responsibilities. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to discern and appropriately communicate sensitive issues.
- A minimum of three or more years of progressively more responsible facilitation/project management experience.
- Organizational skills, attentiveness to detail and the ability to work under general supervision is required.
- Must be adept at handling multiple assignments (multi-tasking and prioritizing) to ensure completion in a timely manner while meeting assigned deadlines.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal, organizational and basic math skills.
- The ability to read, write, and communicate effectively in English is required.
- The ability to understand and comply with applicable Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulations and Company operating procedures, processes, policies and rules is essential.
- Must be able to use discretion and handle sensitive/confidential information.
- Must be proficient in using various PC-based software packages including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Experience working in a broad enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish work.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Occasional overtime may be required.
Monitors the workplace environment by analyzing work processes, materials, equipment and the work habits of employees and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken where hazards exist. Develops and oversees EHS training programs for employees in areas such as employee-right-to-know, hazardous material handling, laser safety, emergency response, industrial hygiene, and life safety. Plans and schedules work to meet deadlines established by others to ensure the completion of several related tasks. Works independently most of the time and uses judgment in data analysis to develop and design solutions to difficult health and safety problems.
- Performs traditional EHS duties such as job safety analyses, health and safety training, workplace incident investigations, workplace safety inspections and internal audits as directed.
- Supports EHS team in the management of all hazardous material and hazardous waste activities including the collection, transportation and disposal of all hazardous waste in compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Provide leadership and support for site EHS resources.
- Reviews new hazardous materials and checks incoming material for MSDS’s, unique usage and storage characteristics. Works with end user to ensure proper usage and disposal. Provides guidance as necessary.
- Provide technical support to projects, new process introduction, process/equipment change management projects
- Facilities program EHS support and contractor management
- Reviews and maintains MSDS data system an inventory.
- Supports EHS management in conducting reviews for facility modification, new product development, product modification and new equipment/machinery as directed.
- Provides on call support for EHS emergencies.
- Leads site ISO 14001 process and its maintenance.
- Responsible for assigned duties and tasks as defined by the EMS
- Acts as liaison with appropriate regulatory agencies and may provide input to federal, state and local regulators through industry groups for the writing and revision of regulations.
- Works under the supervision of the CN EHS leader and site management while independently working and solving day-to-day problems.
- Applies professional health and safety principles, theories and concepts and uses independent judgment to develop and design imaginative, thorough and practical solutions to difficult health and safety issues.
- Leads the management in the maintenance of the facility’s Emergency Response and Fire Plans.
- Coordinates employee exposure monitoring activities for chemical and physical agents, including performing Industrial Hygiene (IH) sampling and supporting the activities of contract Industrial Hygienists, chemical spill remediation specialists, and other safety consultants as required.
- Conducts and coordinates ergonomic risk assessments and making appropriate corrective action recommendations.
- Leads and provides oversite for site occupational clinic and Occupational Health Nurse resource.
- Leads the selection, training and maintenance of all volunteer employee Safety Coordinators and Chemical Handlers.
- Coordinates the inspection and procurement of emergency response and disaster preparedness materials and equipment
- Supports EHS management in the gathering of data for the establishment of report metrics pertinent to EHS activities.
- Facilitates all site Safety Committee meetings and ensure their ongoing operation and benefit.
- Performs related functions and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.