To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Denver, CO 80202
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
southwest generation operating company • Denver, CO
Posted 29 days ago
The Accountant is responsible for interpreting and applying US GAAP to monitor the accuracy of general ledger accounts and reported financial results. The Accountant performs a wide variety of general accounting duties for the Company including posting journal entries, consolidation, variance analysis and technical accounting research. The Accountant reports to the Controller.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in maintaining all financial records of the Company and subsidiaries, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and company policy.
- Analyze operational results for required month end accruals and adjustments and determine appropriate journal entries.
- Review and complete daily and month-end close procedures and reconciliations.
- Prepare consolidated financial statements and intercompany transactions.
- Actively participate in the year-end audit and assist the Controller in the preparation of the audited financial
- Ensures integrity of accounting records through well prepared journal entries with adequate backup documentation, detailed analysis and monthly reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for internal and external parties.
- Prepare monthly withdrawal certificates for entities with credit facilities.
- Assist in maintenance of accounting system and reporting systems.
- Assist in development, maintenance, and compliance of key accounting policies, maintain accounting files and documentation.
- AP Processing/Sales tax on invoices.
- Inventory processing (cost adjustment & month-end balancing).
- Work under limited supervision.
- Maintain fixed assets database
- Identify and integrate new technologies to enhance accounting and reporting systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain the highest standards of conduct and integrity in all dealings with or on behalf of Southwest Generation at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to collaborate well with other in a team-focused culture
- Ability to professionally handle highly confidential information and sensitive information.
- Ability to interact and communicate well with individuals in all areas of the Company and outside vendors.
- Ability to demonstrate advanced computer knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point and various other programs.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and process financial and accounting data
- Engaging team player who takes full ownership of responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow both verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
- Effective time management and organizational skills; able to balance multiple priorities.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting and 3-5 years of accounting experience.
- Experience with Great Plains accounting software and Management Reporter highly preferred.
- Experience with consolidating and elimination entries preferred.
- Experience in Public Accounting is a plus.
- Experience in the Power industry is a plus.
- CPA required.
Must be able to accomplish physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodation.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision and distance vision.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and filing cabinets.
- No travel is expected for this position.
Southwest Generation is an Affirmative Action Employer, Females/Minority/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.