At NRG, we’re bringing the power of energy to people and organizations by putting customers at the center of everything we do. We generate electricity and provide energy solutions and natural gas to millions of customers through our diverse portfolio of retail brands. A Fortune 500 company, operating in the United States and Canada, NRG delivers innovative solutions while advocating for competitive energy markets and customer choice, working towards a sustainable energy future. More information is available at [ Link removed ] . Connect with NRG on Facebook, LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
Under direct or general supervision routinely performs highly skilled work on all instrument and electrical equipment in the power plant. This includes testing, troubleshooting, calibrating, adjusting and constructing plant electrical and controls equipment, circuits, systems and related apparatus.
- Installs, tests, maintains, calibrates and makes repairs on all makes and types of pressure, temperature and other supervisory instruments, transmitters and similar controls equipment.
- Installs, tests, and maintains transformers, regulators, circuit breakers, motors, batteries, disconnecting switches, instruments, relays, lighting system apparatus, and other similar electrical equipment.
- Installs, maintains, removes or replaces cable and plant wiring, including cable splicing.
- Maintains low and medium voltage switchgear and associated equipment.
- Installs, maintains, removes or replaces pneumatic and hydraulic tubing and controllers.
- Maintains and repairs motors and associated equipment.
- Proficient in the use of electrical testing and troubleshooting equipment.
- Assists in developing work plans and procedures including parts and equipment identification and ordering.
- Is responsible for the observance of all safety rules and environmental standards.
- Utilizes a computer and other technology based work management systems in performing work duties, capturing equipment and work history and record keeping.
- Directs the work of and instructs others assigned to assist him.
- Operates automotive, forklift and other equipment when required.
- Performs housekeeping duties as assigned.
- Responds to overtime requests as needed.
In addition to the above and other related work of similar grade, a Qualified Controls Specialist will be assigned to any other work of equal or lesser skill within the capabilities of the individual, to meet emergencies or other operating needs.
- Educational requirements: High School diploma or equivalent.
- Five years of power plant or related industrial experience performing highly skilled electrical and controls system maintenance and repair.
- Must be able to read and understand complex and detailed blueprints, electrical drawings, schematics, P&ID’s, instruction manuals, etc.
- Must be able to work in both indoor and outdoor environmental conditions, hot and cold temperatures and moderate to high noise environments. This position requires a person to occasionally bend, stoop, reach, push, walk, stand and climb.
- Must have successfully complete pre-job testing requirements.
- Must be willing and able to work extra and/or irregular hours including holidays and weekends.
Preferred/Additional Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Advanced education in electrical, electronics, instrumentation or related technical discipline preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability and willingness to learn.
- Demonstrates and maintains high personal standards of performance, responsibility and professionalism.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at [ Link removed ] )
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
- Automotive Industry