Benefits and Pay:
- Starts $12.75/hour minimum to train, pay increases after 90 days to a range of $13.50 at a minimum.
- 20% Co-op grocery discount
- Medical insurance options after 90 days for full time staff (plus dental and vision)
- Two Paid Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program (free anonymous counseling).
- Paid time off
- Full time hours
References required: please include 2 professional and 1 personal (not a family member) references. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Work Schedule: This is a full time position, 40 hours/week. This is a full time role, with at least one weekend day/week required.
Goal: Our production kitchen is seeking an experienced cook that can help with production, training, and helping with replenishment ordering. Our kitchen prepares giant batches of the delicious foods we stock in our deli. They help to coordinate an excellently merchandised and accurately priced store area with a product mix that meets customers’ needs, meets Co-op purchasing guidelines, and contributes to the financial best interest of the Co-op. They work cooperatively with members of the public, vendors, staff, and supervisors. They strive to keep a positive and solution oriented work and shopping environment. Ensures a consistent and positive shopping experience for customers, peers, and other Co-op staff.
Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Provides outstanding and advanced internal and external service.
- Fulfills daily cleaning tasks, cleanup/upkeep of personal areas, and periodic cleaning.
- Works with systems to improve customer service, ownership processes, and special ordering. Works with special orders for the department.
- Upholds and models Customer Service Commitment.
- Offers samples, suggestions and product information to customers.
- Maintains familiarity with all areas of the store in order to best assist customers.
- Responds to requests from customers to research product availability, price and quality issues.
PURCHASING & PRICING
- Works with Manager and Coordinators to ensure replenishment purchasing for assigned areas; ensures reception of orders and obtains credits following established procedures.
- Follows trends, does market research and uses SPINS to ensure optimal product mix and pricing.
- Pulls product, installs signage and follows up with vendor (credits, etc) regarding product recalls.
- Ensures that unsellable items are recorded and returned or disposed of following established procedures.
- Communicates needs of Owners and customers to Coordinators and Managers.
- Maintains accurate pricing for profitability and price image. Ensures accurate costs, margins and data in Point of Sale (POS) system.
- Completes periodic inventory counts.
MERCHANDISING & PROMOTIONS
- Oversees areas as assigned, makes replenishment purchases as directed.
- Coordinates area floor plan and strategically utilizes end-caps and display areas.
- Supports periodic category resets according to store wide plans.
- Maintains attractive displays and accurate shelf/bin tags and sale signs and ensures ordering of sufficient merchandise to stock sets for duration of display.
- Works with Marketing and departmental Manager to ensure accurate, up-to-date product signage; coordinates departmental sales and sale changeovers.
- Provides product information to customers, staff, and submits periodic department-related articles to the Co-op’s newsletter, e-news, website, etc.
- Works with all levels of Co-op staff in a manner that supports department financial performance; coordinates production and cleaning schedule.
- Maintains departmental procedures for specialization, ex: recipe ingredients and pricing for Kitchen/Bakery Specialist.
- Takes training as designed for the position, and supports training plans for staff according to role.
- Keeps accurate records as directed.
- Ensures that department areas are in clean, orderly condition meeting Health Department and customer service standards.
- Communicates equipment needs to department Coordinators and Manager.
- Takes the lead during departmental and/or area opening and closing shifts.
- Attends meetings as assigned.
- Accountable for departmental and store-wide communication practices, including emails, logs, whiteboards, etc.
- Role models and utilizes systems/processes created to streamline efficiencies within the Co-op; accepts changes, and adapts to the changing needs of the business.
- Maintains correspondence with staff, vendors, customers, and Owners on behalf of the Co-op for department and store in general through email, phone, etc.
- Maintains team and departmental information on shared team drives and follows organizational protocol for use of shared calendars, schedules, and other technology.
- Assists with the growth and development of the Keweenaw Co-op, including problem solving and quality improvement.
- Reviews area operations and recommends changes in, or better utilization of resources.
- Communicates and coordinates departmental needs with Manager and Coordinators.
- Adheres to the Staff Agreement.
- Supports decisions made by the Management Team.
- Serves on-call as necessary.
- Strives for continuous improvement.
- Accountable for area personnel and assisting with human resources or supervision, including, but not limited to:
- Completion of training checklists and training programs.
- Coordination of work for staff as they move throughout the specialty area.
- Assists when needed with break coverage.
- Takes advantage of teachable moments.
- Completes store checklists regarding state of the store, safety, and cleaning, on a scheduled basis.
- Role models conflict resolution and safety procedures.
- Models and works to ensure honest and open lines of communication within and among departments and staff.
- Models supportive and participative leadership; promotes concepts of team building and empowerment.
- Communicates in a clear, direct, and respectful manner.
- Complies with established policies, procedures, customer service standards and guidelines.
- Models organizational service goals and standards.
Performs other duties as assigned.
This is a full time position, applicants must be available to work 40 hours/week year-round.
- Frequently performs work in a retail grocery store.
- Works in temperature extremes (walk-in freezer, frozen or hot parking lot, hot kitchen, etc.).
- Utilizes hand trucks, pallet jacks, grocery carts, box cutters, electronic ordering devices.
- Utilizes office machines, cash registers, tablets, computers, fax machines, scanners, photocopiers, telephone and intercom systems.
- Utilizes multiple systems of communication and data storage, including, but not limited to, G-Suite, GMail, Google Calendars, Payroll software, etc.
- May come into contact with hazardous materials in relation to cleanliness of the store.
- Moderate noise level.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Ability to analyze, collect and research data; fierce attention to detail.
- Mathematical - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio and percent. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and standard kitchen measurements.
- Comprehension - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Reasoning - Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; contributes to building positive team spirit; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; remains open to others and ideas and tries new things.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; supports Co-op’s goals and values.
- Judgment & Decision Making – Displays willingness to make decisions; supports and explains reasoning for decisions as they are coordinated within the department.
- Independence & Interdependence - Ability to work independently, as part of a team, coordinating within the department to ensure goals are met.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition.
- Project Management – Coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project activities.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; works well in group problem solving situations; has a cooperative spirit.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
- Computer Literacy - Ability to regularly use computers for organizational content on shared drives.
- Oral Communication – Responds well to questions; participates in meetings. Ability to speak effectively to groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time.
- Flexibility - Ability and willingness to learn and meet the changing requirements of the job.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- At least one year of experience in area of specialization, particularly in a retail, natural foods, or cooperative environment.
- Firm grasp of margin, pricing and inventory control.
- Willingness and ability to learn to meet the changing requirements of the job.
- Able to work at least one weekend day/week, early morning, late evening, or overnight shifts as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree from a four-year college or university or equivalent related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Training or leadership experience related to grocery or retail environments or cooperatives.
- Experience with natural products purchasing and merchandising.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, mouse, telephone, and office equipment continuously.
- Ability to lift and carry between 20 and 50 pounds frequently.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, reach above shoulder height, and climb stairs/ladders occasionally.
- Ability to use fine motor skills for typing, grasping, manipulating objects with fingers.
- Ability to write or type reports, and complete checklists in written or digital format.
- Ability to read and interpret small print and alphanumeric product codes.
- Ability to work overnight, weekend and non-business hour shifts as required.
This job description is a representative, but not exhaustive list of job functions that an employee may be required to perform. It is not intended as an employee contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances of its business or work environment change, regardless of job title or routine job functions.
Salary Description$12.75/hour minimum to train, $13.50/hour after training
- Attention To Detail
- Business Process Improvement
- Commercial Awareness
- Computer Keyboards
- Computer Literacy