CWS is seeking a candidate to provide database specialist support for a customer-focused technology service contract supporting the Aviation Logistics Center (ALC) in Elizabeth City, NC. The U.S. Coast Guard Aviation Logistics Center Information Systems Division's objective is to obtain services for IT support and the required on-site technical personnel for mission support for the Asset Logistics Information Management System (ALMIS), Aviation Logistics Center – Logistics Support System (ALC-LSS), Coast Guard Logistics Information Management System (CG-LIMS), Account Management and Help Desk Support. This support includes overall operations of logistics focused on engineered IT systems at ALC and the Coast Guard's applications and enterprise systems.
The candidate will possess a proficient background in relational database management systems, including an understanding of structured query language. The candidate will possess the ability to analyze the needs of the customer. Plan database upgrades by maintaining, evaluating, and improving a transaction processing model. Assess database performance by developing a protocol for measurement of results and identification of problem areas. Support database performance by monitoring database performance; evaluating and resolving processing and programming problems; designing database management tools; answering user questions. Secure database by preparing access and control policies and procedures; implementing disaster recovery procedures. Support application design by contributing expertise to applications, operations, and technical support teams. Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations. Accomplish information systems and organization mission by completing related results as needed. Coordinate and manage database activities to support application development projects. Provide functional and technical support to ensure performance, operation and stability of database systems. Manage data exporting and importing across database systems. Provide database connectivity and access support throughout the organization. Possess strong planning, organizational and critical thinking skills.
The candidate should possess a strong analytical, problem solving, verbal and written communication skills. The ideal candidate should be detail-oriented individual, capable of consistently meeting project and schedule deadlines. The candidate should have experience with Information Technology support within a federal government environment and demonstrated experience in working with various team within the IT support structure.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
• Led teams in the database design and implementation process.
• Develop and test logical and physical database designs.
• Review logical and physical designs of existing databases and perform tuning as the senior database specialist, to ensure maximum operating efficiency.
• Perform data analysis, database design, development activities, and implementation, as directed, for databases and database conversions.
• Perform database-restructuring activities.
• Work with users and information systems development staff to determine data storage and access requirements.
• Provides highly technical expertise and guidance in the design, implementation, operation and maintenance of database management systems (DBMS).
• Evaluates and recommends available DBMS products after matching requirements with system capabilities.
• Determines file organization, indexing methods, and security procedures for specific applications.
• Controls the design and use of databases.
• Controls the global view of databases, the access to the databases, assures the safekeeping of the databases (from accidental or intentional damage or loss), and monitors the use of databases.
• Capable of defining all required database administration policies, procedures, standards, guidelines, and SOP.
• Maintain Ingres, Microsoft and Oracle databases on all production and non-production databases to meet 24-hour operational requirements and availability.
• Maintain Ingres, Microsoft and Oracle databases on all production and non-production database objects and documents through CM.
• Maintain the HVR to ensure data integrity and continuous replication for all ALMIS and CG-LIMS production and non-production databases.
• Remediate all identified Ingres, Microsoft, and Oracle database vulnerabilities as identified by the Information Security Team. Database vulnerabilities should be remediated within the designated calendar days of work assignment tasking from the Security Team. For vulnerabilities that cannot be remediated, POAM corrective action plan must be submitted.
• Be available for on-call duty for after-hour coverage in support of system upgrades, system maintenance and system failures.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Systems Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology
• Six (6) years’ experience in DBMSs
• At least one technical certification is desired
-Oracle Database 12c Administrator
-Oracle Certification Professional
-MySQL Database Administrator
-Microsoft SQL Server Database Certification
• ITIL v3 Foundations - desired
• Agency Specific (Favorably adjudicated Background Investigation)
• US Citizen or permanent resident
Other (Travel, Work Environment, Administrative Notes, etc.)
• Limited travel to company office locations and other contract sites may be required
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
EEO is the Law: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Database Management Systems