To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Fairfax, VA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Center For Discovery • Fairfax, VA
Posted 1 day ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
About Center for Discovery
Center For Discovery has a 20 year legacy of success in transforming lives. We are a national leader in behavioral health and have a passion for bringing healing and hope to our clients and families. Discovery offers world-class residential and outpatient eating disorder, mental health, and substance abuse treatment for adolescents, adults, and their families. We place a high priority on providing an environment where our clients and their families are treated like people, with unlimited capacity for learning, healing and growth. We seek qualified individuals who share our passion and want to learn the ‘Discovery way’ in providing the very best care to individuals and families.
At Center For Discovery you will have the opportunity to work closely with a tight-knit team of professionals with the common goal of transforming lives. Treatment occurs in a beautiful, estate-style home which makes for a unique, comfortable, and modern work environment.
Additional benefits include but are not limited to:
- Working with a team that is made up of eating disorder and mental health experts
- An individualized growth plan which will help you develop your professional skills and career goals.
- Family-style meals provided
- Fun team building exercises and activities
- A modern, home-like office space
This position is in a residential eating disorder facility for adult women with comprehensive family program and family support. The facility is truly a home with bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room and more (check our website for a video tour). The facility is a homelike setting in a residential neighborhood (view our website for a virtual tour). Treatment in this setting allows our residents to feel more comfortable in familiar surroundings and provides greater transferability and internalization of the treatment experience to life after treatment.
In our small, intimate settings we treat a maximum of eight clients at a time to optimize individualization for clients and families maintain an intimate setting and a high staff to client ratio.
This is a part time position, approximately 20 - 30 hours a week. Schedule to be determined during the second interview.
Counselor I title is for an individual who is responsible for assisting and supporting residents through the entire treatment experience from admission through discharge. As a Counselor I, you would be working face to face with our clients daily and responsible to:
- Contribute insightful, practical, and meaningful information about the clients’ behavior, mood and progress to the treatment planning process;
- Role model appropriate and supportive behavior based on your training;
- Support the clients in their journey to a more productive life.
The Counseling team is available to the residents on a twenty-four-hour basis. Counselors are often the clients’ major support and as such derive satisfaction from making a powerful difference in the clients’ treatment. Counselors manage crisis situations such as food refusal, emotional breakdowns, and more.
As a Counselor you are empowered to be creative in your role. Your strengths, skills and passions can be integrated into your time with the clients (ex: yoga talent, art, hobbies you have). Center for Discovery is open to new ideas from our team mates and bringing in innovative ways of connecting to clients.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university
- One-year experience working with children, mental health, counseling, or eating disorders field preferred
- Must attend all training, education, and staff enrichment activities
- Must possess a current Driver’s License in good standing
- Role models to clients and staff appropriate dress, grooming, communication and behavior a positive and uplifting influence.
- Greets new residents and introduces residents to their primary treatment providers.
- Determines whether the new resident has any special needs, communicates those needs to the treatment team and assists the resident in fulfilling those needs.
- Contributes to the well-being of all residents by serving as a positive role model, demonstrating professional, warm and caring manner toward co-workers, residents, and guests.
- Facilitates treatment plan set forth by the Therapist by providing day-today support to residents and if residents need to “check-in”, help residents engage in a positive coping skill.
- Responsible for running and engaging residents in therapeutic groups such as coping skills, relapse prevention, DBT, psycho education, Life Skills, etc.
- As Counselors are the “eyes and ears” of the program, they report and contribute to the treatment process by sharing vital information.
- Our employees must understand and maintain the confidential nature of all resident and program related activities.
- Assists Primary Therapist with discharge process of residents by helping resident with needs and ensuring a smooth transition.
- Will work and eat together during meal periods in order to help model good behaviors to residents and redirect eating disorder behaviors. (The meals will be provided by the employer at no charge to the employee and the time will be treated as hours worked.)
- Maintains a clean environment and ensures that the house is tidy and clean at all times.
- Familiarizes self with the Philosophy, Mission, goals, and objectives of the Center for Discovery Adolescent Treatment Programs. Complies with all Discovery policies and procedures. Attends all designated meetings.