Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Web Operations Engineer will provide technical and delivery expertise across development operations teams and efforts. As part of the Optum eBusiness team, this role is responsible for the overall configuration, automation, and deployment of John Muir Health’s public and internal facing web sites and business applications from bare metal to running application. The role will be responsible for day-to-day operations of the production infrastructure internally and in the cloud hosted services. This individual should have a strong background in configuration management, automation, shell scripting, and securing internet facing applications. A successful candidate will strive to continually implement automation to improve productivity, reduce risk, and achieve scale. This is a hands-on role working collaboratively with product management, development, and the broader IT organization to enable efficient, reliable, and consistent build and deployment services in a project-driven Agile development environment.
While the individual in this role may be located anywhere in the U.S., they will need to work within the general core hours for the client on Pacific time (generally 9-5 with some flexibility)
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Act as a subject matter expert for troubleshooting and resolving complex, multi-tier web problems across different platforms
- Design, implement, and support automated continuous integration and deployment processes in conjunction with development and QA teams
- Implement and monitor application performance tracking to ensure site uptime and response times
- Secure, scale, and manage Unix/Linux virtual environments to meet performance specifications
- Establish and modify team procedures to ensure compliance with application security policies, HIPAA, and PCI regulations
- Monitor environments for penetration and malicious attack attempts, anomalies, and errors. Provide reporting and escalation of issues
- Data backup management, scheduling and reporting for both internal corporate systems and data centers systems
- Provide Level III support and resolution, as well as escalation updates to the ITS and Executive Management Team
- Present ideas and solutions such as network diagrams and written reports in a clear and organized manner at different levels in the organization
- Collaborate with other IT departments and external vendors as needed
- Excellent team player, including the ability to work cross-functionally in a fast-paced environment but able to work independently
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility and ability to concurrently manage multiple deadline-driven tasks and deliverables
- Participate in a 24x7x365 support rotation
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in Computer Science)
- 3+ years of Unix/Linux experience managing the configuration, operation, tuning, and support of Apache or NginX servers for public websites.
- 3+ years of experience building, testing, and deploying secure web applications on Java or NodeJS, using Atlassian Bamboo or Jenkins
- 3+ years of experience with configuration automation software like Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- 3+ years of experience in network and application monitoring and alerting. Experience with open source tools such as SensuGo, Nagios, or SNMP
- 3+ years of experience with network management and troubleshooting (TCP/IP, DNS, SSL, VPNs, firewalls)
- Experience with version control software, such as GitHub
- Knowledge of cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure. Strong experience with virtualization software such VMware, KVM, XEN
- Familiarity with MySQL and MongoDB databases and their system requirements
- Fluent in at least one programming language, preferably Bash, Python, Java, or Ruby
- Experience with containers (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Willingness/ability to work Pacific time core hours (9-5 pacific time with some flexibility).
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $64,800 to $116,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Web Operation, Operations, IT, Technology, Healthcare, Remote, Work From Home, Pacific Time