Travel Required: None
GDIT is seeking a Software Defined Network Cable Engineer to work in Arlington, VA at the Pentagon.
Responsible for installation and documentation of new and/or updated Inside Plant cable infrastructure to include conduit, cable trays, copper, coax, fiber and all associated elements in the Pentagon & buildings within the NCR supported by JSP. Must follow JSP and commercial best practice procedures, standards required for installation of cable racks, wiring of the racks and testing required during installation.
NOTE: This position is for a NIGHT Shift Schedule (3rd shift). The NIGHT Shift Hours are: 8:00 pm EST - 6:00 am EST.
• Analyze, administer, and maintain telecommunications and network cabling infrastructure.
• Verify service by testing installed cabling; identifying, correcting, or escalating problems
• Interpret cut sheets, circuit diagrams, and electrical schematics to execute to cut over of service between devices
• Install, maintain and repair data communications systems
• Dress, terminate and test cables and components including CAT6 and fiber optic cabling.
• Identify, track and remove abandoned cable, and keep cable neatly tied and bundled while maintaining safety standards
• Test, locate, install, and repair cabling infrastructure associated with trouble calls, and performs routine maintenance
• Well versed in the use of network cabling test equipment including network testers, copper cable testers, fiber OTDRs and fiber power meters.
• Document network by labeling and routing equipment and cables; recording configuration diagrams and specifications
• Ability to work well with others and communicate with supervisors.
• Verify work order information and receipt of all necessary equipment and information
• Maintain current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned
• Participate in special projects as required
• Ability to work with power tools and ladders
• Patch network equipment
• Punch down of copper cabling
• Terminate fiber optic cabling
• Testing copper & fiber cabling
• Install backbone cabling, label cables, read and create cut sheets
- Active Secret Clearance
- Associate's Degree
- 3-5 years of experience
- Must be familiar with BICSI rules, regulations, and standards
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively to personnel of various expertise levels
- Solid Customer Support Skills in a high visibility environment
- Problem analysis and problem solving
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to lift 35 lbs
- Willing to work Shift Schedule indicated above (3rd Shift 8pm-6am)
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Category 6 Cabling