To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Somerset, PA 15501
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Maxim Healthcare Services • Somerset, PA
Posted 2 months ago
Under the immediate supervision of the BHU director, general supervision of the emergency department charge nurse; general supervision of the BHU charge nurse; general supervision of the Utilization Review Case Manager. The primary focus of this position is the physical care and comfort of the adult (age 18 years, not in school) and geriatric population (age 65 years and older) provided within treatment guidelines; therapeutic emotional support, as outlined within the individual treatment plan, and assistance in the maintenance of a safe and secure environment. Psychiatric Technician will also perform screenings in the ED to provide seamless transition of the Behavioral Health client to the Behavioral Health Department or into the community, dependent on the patient’s presenting criteria. The client may present to the Somerset Hospital ED or community setting from a referring facility.
Performs and assists with patient and non-patient care activities, as required for the daily operation of the unit, congruent with the philosophy and practice of Total Quality Management.
- High School Graduate or equivalent required
- PA Nurse Aide Certification (candidates considered for hire without certification must complete the certification within 6 months of hire)
- Current CPR- Class C
- Clean criminal background check required as per Act 169
- FBI fingerprint clearance
- Clean Child Abuse Clearance required as per the Child Abuse Protective Services Law
- Completion of orientation packet.
- Patient Care- Assists the BHU team with the care, formulation, documentation of patient care in direct correlation with the individualized patient treatment plan, including provision of personal care as outlined below along with providing structured diversional activities. Patient personal care duties will include;
- Performs personal care for the comfort and well-being of the patient which includes, but is not limited to bed bath, tub bath, shower, sitz bath, mouth care, skin care, hair care and nail care.
- Serves and collects food trays. Feeds patients and records dietary intake.
- Distributes nourishments.
- Measures and records intake and output.
- Performs finger stick glucose test, records results in the medical record, and reports results to responsible Registered Nurse.
- Assists the patient with the bedpan, urinal, bedside commode, bowel and bladder retraining. Records daily bowel function. May apply condom catheters.
- Collects urine and stool specimens.
- Provides perineal and catheter care.
- Assists with simple non-sterile dressing changes, application and removal of ace bandages, TED hose.
- Makes occupied and unoccupied beds.
- Performs PM care to include straightening linens and assist patient with hygiene and elimination needs at bedtime.
- Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure. Obtains and records patient weight and height.
- Turns and positions patient as indicated.
- Applies least restrictive restraint device as directed by an R.N.
- Reports and documents information related to assigned duties.
- Assists patients with transfers to bed, wheelchair and stretcher.
- Assists with range of motion exercises.
- Initiated CPR when certified.
- Provides escort and courier functions.
- Provides for inventory, ordering and distribution of supplies.
- Provides for a neat and clean work environment.
- Transports specimens.
- Demonstrates competence in the use of blood pressure manometer, stethoscope, thermometer, personal protective equipment, wheelchairs, stretchers, and other related clinical equipment.
- Adheres to departmental and hospital safety policies.
- Answers call bells to determine patient’s needs.
- Able to push of pull 50 pounds independently, reach above shoulder height, stoop and bend.
- Exhibits qualities of professionalism appropriate to the Psychiatric Technician role.
- Is supportive and promotes cooperation in communication with other staff members.
- Practices good interpersonal relations with other nursing units and other hospital personal.
- Demonstrates respect and concern for patients regardless of age, sex, sexual orientation, social, cultural or ethnic background, spiritual or religious belief, diagnosis or economic status.
- Respects the dignity, confidentiality and privacy of all patients.
- Accepts and responds in a positive fashion to constructive criticism.
- Reports to work at scheduled time and does not abuse ill/absent time. Maintains professional dress within the hospital dress code for role.
- Demonstrates competence in performance and documentation of blood glucose monitoring (including quality control checks).
- For patients in the Emergency Department, the Psychiatric Technician will be called any time the ED requests a screening for a patient. The screening tool will be performed to determine appropriateness of admission for the physician. Tech will confirm insurance information. Psychiatric Tech will discuss patient with nursing in the ED who will contact the psychiatrist on call for admission orders.
- If patient is eligible for admission, Tech will call the insurance to obtain a prior authorization. This information will be relayed to the Case Management Department. Tech will have 201 signed in the ED. If the patient needs to be on a 302 commitment, the Tech will contact Crisis for completion of this commitment. After legal status completed, the Tech will have the ED RN call report to the BHU. Tech will transfer patient to the unit for admission by nursing staff.
- In the event that the BHU has no bed availability for the patient but the ED physician determines that the patient is appropriate for psychiatric admission, the Tech will perform a psychiatric bed search of other are facilities until placement of the patient is completed.
- If the physician does not feel that the patient meets psychiatric criteria for an inpatient psychiatric admission, the Tech will make referrals to appropriate level of care (outpatient therapy, outpatient medication management, partial hospitalization program, etc.).
- Participative management- as a member of the BHU team provides input with subsequent assistance in the implementation of policies and procedures; actively participates in Quality Improvement Activities; assists with departmental educational efforts through suggestions for staff development, assistance in orientation and training, and competence evaluation.
- Professionalism- exhibits qualities of professional attitude, interest and behavior necessary to the position of a Neuropsychiatric Service staff member; simultaneously supporting the philosophy and mission of Somerset Hospital.
- Safety and equipment- demonstrates current knowledge of location and function of emergency equipment on the unit; functional knowledge and compliance with hospital and unit-specific safety policies and procedures.
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures, standards of care and quality improvement activities.
- Participated in orientation of new personnel.
- The incumbent is supervised by the inpatient Clinical Director.
- The incumbent has no direct reports.
- Competitive pay & weekly paychecks
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- 401(k) savings plan
- Awards and recognition programs