At Company, we don’t just sell insurance. We help build a more protected world for our customers and society at large. Our tag line, “navigating life together,” reinforces the role we play with our customers as trusted advisors to help navigate the twists and turns in their lives. In the United States, our core business is working with employers to provide employee benefits to their employees. Our core role in communications is to make sure employers see Company as THE company with whom to place their trust and employees understand their benefit options, what’s relevant to them and the current and future protection these benefits provide.
Company is in the midst of a global transformation from a sales-led culture to one that is customer and insight led. With a new CEO and enhanced focus on delivering on customer needs, the company is more focused than ever on understanding who we serve and how we can help them adapt to life’s twists and turns. In such dynamic times, the role of communications is more important than ever. This is an opportunity to work with a global team large enough to have varied and engaging experiences, yet still have the ability to have an impact and be recognized.
The Role: As the Assistant Vice President (AVP) leading the communications for Group Benefits and Global Employee Benefits, you will serve as a business partner and communications counsellor, a strategist and a team leader, a collaborator and partner. Your focus will be on developing and executing the internal and external communications strategy for Company’s employee benefits business both domestically and, through our Global Employee Benefits business unit, internationally.
This role offers it all: a seat at the table with senior leaders for a multi-billion dollar business; the opportunity to run Company’s largest annual B2C initiative in conjunction with marketing; a leadership role launching Company’s signature thought leadership research study, soon to be in its 18th year; the chance to develop and execute communications plans that are both B2C and B2B; the need to provide strategic communications counsel and advice to leaders at all levels and the opportunity to lead and work with a dynamic team. This person needs to have a keen understanding of both internal and external communications, experience delivering communications results and the cultural sensitivity to work for a global organization.
In this role, you’ll work in close proximity to and have direct visibility to key senior leaders across the U.S. Business including the heads of the domestic and international employee benefits business and their leadership teams. Externally, your key stakeholders will include the HR, worksite and general interest media.
Delivering on this role requires an individual who is comfortable advising senior leaders, likes to roll up his or her sleeves and dig in to work, is more at ease collaborating than working alone and enjoys guiding and developing team members. We’re looking for an individual with a keen attention to detail, the motivation to consistently provide quality work and an understanding of how to set and leverage metrics to drive ongoing success. This individual should be capable of blending big creative ideas with analytical skills, and have the ability to influence and counsel in a collaborative and matrix environment. More than anything, we’re looking for a genuine storyteller who understands how to connect audiences with a relevant narrative.
- Manage a team of 5+ communications professionals who support Company’s U.S. Group Benefits and Global Employee Benefits
- Develop and execute integrated communications strategies – from big idea to tactical execution - in conjunction with Marketing, that leverage the company’s brand and leadership positions
- Establish strong relationships with stakeholders throughout the company and represent communications on cross-functional projects and leadership teams
- Counsel business leaders on internal and external communications issues and develop message points, storylines and communications assets to address those issues
- Effectively manage and deliver communication through a variety of channels using current and emerging communications technology
- Socialize communications program ideas among influencers and stakeholders and secure buy-in and budgets for activations
- Advance Company’s reputation by driving internal communications and PR activations for Company’s thought leadership efforts including research papers, data-driven studies, award submissions and external speaking engagements
- Partner with Company’s broader communications department to help drive initiatives that support employees’ understanding of the company’s strategy and their role in it
- Take a holistic approach to communications opportunities; bringing in colleagues as necessary to ensure all stakeholders and audiences are being addressed
- Work effectively through shared processes with others at all levels within the organization
- Act as Company’s lead conduit for all communication efforts related to MAXIS Global Benefits Network, Company’s joint venture with AXA
- Foster teamwork and help provide developmental opportunities for team members
Reports to: Vice President of Communications for the U.S. Business and Global Brand and Marketing
Direct reports/team: 5+ communications professionals
Key Stakeholders: Internally, senior leaders across the U.S. Business including the heads of the domestic and international employee benefits business and their leadership teams. Externally, your key stakeholders will include the HR, worksite and general interest media
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- At least 10 years of experience in communications and public relations
- Experience working with business-to-business and business-to-consumer companies
- Experienced in traditional media, social media and new media channels with demonstrated results in using them internally and externally to engage stakeholders
- A combination of agency and corporate experience is preferred but not required
- Track record of success in developing and executing integrated communications approaches
- Experience working with senior business leaders
- Experience with crisis and issues management
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, public relations, journalism, or related field
- Recognized as a team player who willingly shares knowledge and information with others
- Exercises sound judgment as a communications professional
- Produces high-quality work at a professional level
- High proficiency in written and verbal communication
- The ability to explain complex concepts and make them relevant to the multiple audiences
- High energy and strong work ethic
Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
Seizes Opportunity – Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
Models our Values – Creates a culture that promotes the company’s values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
Focuses on Customers – Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
Human Resources Information System (Hris)
Human Resource Management