Director of Nursing - Registered Nurse RN
ACH is proud to have been awarded the Better Business Bureau's Torch Award for Ethics in 2019, and to be certified in 2021 by Fortune Magazine as a Great Place to Work for the sixth consecutive year!
Position: Director of Nursing- Registered Nurse (RN)
Facility: Jackson County Detention Center
Location: Kansas City, MO
Hours and shift: 40 hours per week, 8am-430pm
Are you a professional Registered Nurse (RN) who desires to work autonomously in a unique and challenging environment? Do you have strong communication skills and the ability to assess for emergent versus non-urgent needs? If so, we invite you to apply as a member of our nursing team.
The qualified candidate will provide medical services to the detainee population in a correctional medical environment. You'll work as part of a team, along with support staff and corrections staff, where communication and cooperation are key to success.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Reports directly to and meets with Health Service Administrator (HSA) and prepares reports as requested
* Maintains a professional attitude at all times
* Maintains a good working relationship with correctional personnel, nursing staff, contracted providers, outside provider agencies and corporate office staff
* Assists HSA in utilizing established corporate and correctional policies and procedures in making decisions but uses sound independent judgment in meeting responsibilities and performing duties of the position.
* Assists HSA in developing, revising, interpreting, and ensuring compliance with policies, procedures, aims, and philosophy of ACH and the assigned correctional facility.
* Is tactful and diplomatic at all times and functions as a role model for staff
* Assists HSA in orienting, supervising and evaluating performance of nursing and clerical personnel
* Assists HSA with assigning, directing, and promoting employees as a supervisory function
* Assists HSA with hiring employees as staffing needs require
* Counsels, disciplines, suspends, and/or terminates employees who violate policies established by ACH or the facility as directed by the HSA.
* Assists HSA with completing a yearly written evaluation on all directly supervised staff, a 30 day and a three (3) month evaluation on nursing employees who are under direct supervision
* Ensures adequate staffing at facility
* Fills in as needed during periods of short staffing and adheres to the Registered Nurse job description.
* Ensures appropriate licensure on nursing and certified medical personnel, i.e. nurses, CMAs dental assistants, etc.
* Approves payroll, professional time sheets of nursing personnel, reports hours and reviews use of overtime as directed by HSA.
* Oversees services rendered by contractors and professional staff and reports to the contractors' supervisor as indicated by HSA.
* Supplies written job descriptions to nursing staff
* Ensures the proper flow of relevant information (policies, procedures, in-service, problems, etc.) to HSA or Regional Nurse Manager.
* Completes and submits monthly statistical, narrative, summary and/or operation reports as requested by HSA.
* Conducts peer reviews for nursing personnel of equal or lesser educational level
* Maintains a current copy of the facility's medical policies and procedures and ensures they are readily accessible to nursing staff
* Participates in CQI meetings conducted by the HSA or Regional Nurse Manager.
* Audits weekly logs and received billing statements/invoices, and forwards them to corporate office as directed by HSA.
* Maintains absolute security of all medical records
* Audits medical files to ensure that all provided services are documented using the SOAP format
* Screens requests for records and seeks approval/disapproval from jail administration; then responds appropriately
* Reviews, processes, and responds to records requests as directed by ACH attorneys
* Reviews status of inmates with serious health problems ensuring necessary intervention and treatment is completed
* Monitors inpatient hospitalizations and works with jail administration for early release whenever appropriate
* Reviews referrals to outside consultants for necessity of referral and communicates with jail administration for security restrictions or concerns
* Assists HSA with monitoring the provision of contractual medical services, i.e. radiology, lab, etc.
* Assists HSA with regularly evaluating the provision of medical services to prevent the inappropriate use/duplication of those services
* Assists HSA and ACH billing department to identify financial responsibility (inmate, correctional, ACH, insurance company, etc.) for all incurred expenses as requested.
* Closely monitors potential illnesses; explores and utilizes all appropriate means of limiting both ACH and corrections' liabilities, if appropriate
* Evaluates and recommends methods of improving operation efficiency and effectiveness
* Assists HSA with monitoring and promoting staff compliance with applicable pharmacy regulations, including those covering controlled substances
* Reviews/approves medical supply and pharmacy orders as assigned by HSA.
* Seeks ACH approval for necessary supplies not on the routine supply list
* Monitors and evaluates physical safety requirements to ensure safe working environment
* Assists HSA with monitoring and/or providing an in-service program suitable to the facility health care program when able to do so on-site
* Meets with contracted agencies and jail administration as directed by the Regional Nurse Manager or Director of Medical Operations
* Functions as liaison between ACH and other professional organizations
* Monitors to confirm the provision of commitments and services made to or by ACH.
* Accepts on-call status
* Attends seminars, workshops, conference, etc. as required by (and at the expense of) Advanced Correctional Healthcare
* Attends facility meetings as designated by the HSA.
* May be asked to travel
* Adheres to established policies of ACH and the facility
* Any and all other duties as assigned.
In return for your expertise, ACH may provide:
* Top Industry Pay!
* Company stability
* Assignments at facilities across 17 different states
* Great employee recognition program
* Unique industry where you can make a difference working with an under-served population
* Commitment to safety of employees
* Educational Reimbursement program
* 401(k) available with employer match
* Employee referral and site referral program
* Health Insurance (for full-time employees)
* Autonomous Work Environment
Currently licensed to practice nursing in the state of hire
Current CPR certification
Professional references must be provided
ACH provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
- Certified Nurse Practitioner