Respiratory Therapist Tech Respiratory Therapist Student with a Student Work Permit / License $2,500 Sign-on Bonus
Who are we?
Nestled in the county seat just off the shores of Lake Michigan in Northern Indiana, Northwest Health - La Porte has been the heart of healthcare in La Porte for more than 40 years. The hospital provides acute care with strong programs in cardiology, orthopedics, surgical services, emergency care, oncology, and maternal health.
The Respiratory Therapist Tech position is for a Respiratory Therapist Student with a Student Work Permit / License. This position exists to be responsible and accountable for the administration of floor-based Respiratory Care as validated by approved competency skills checklist provided by the accredited Respiratory Care Program and for appropriate documentation in the medical record of the therapy provided under the guidance and check off of a staff Respiratory Therapist at La Porte Hospital.
* Requires current admission in an accredited Respiratory Care Program.
* Requires proficient status in competency skills checked off and validated by the Respiratory Care program director/chair on the student license application.
* Requires Indiana State Student Work Permit/License in Respiratory Care.
* Will be under the proximate supervision of a licensed respiratory care therapist/practitioner at all times.
* The Respiratory Therapy student working on student licensure will only perform Respiratory Care that is specific to their student licensure and competency checked by the accredited Respiratory Therapy program director/chair. The students Respiratory Care can include any of the following but, will be specific to each hired student according to their licensure and they will only perform therapies in which they have been approved:
* Treatment Implementation: Understands all oxygen modalities available in our inventory that are administered to the patients. Administers aerosol medication delivery, basic lung parameters: MV, VT, VC, and Peak Flow, performs bronchial hygiene therapy, Capnography, EKG, humidity and Aerosol therapy, pulmonary volume expansion: PEP, high flow cannulas w/heated humidity, oximeter, incentive spirometry, chest percussion therapy, diaphragmatic pursed-lip breathing, pharyngeal airway insertions, suctioning procedures: trach, nasotracheal or endotracheal and tracheostomy care. Understands and adheres to the implementation of the Respiratory Therapy Protocols. Understands the delivery devices and medications and the desired effects and side effects. Understands modifications of drug dosage may be necessary upon the patient population. Reports side effects and adverse reactions to nursing personnel and Pharmacy. Response initiates and participates in resuscitation efforts. Understands isolation techniques and implements those techniques for isolated patients. Maintains skill in the assembly of all equipment high-flow and other equipment that must pass the check-out phase procedure. Understands and cleans equipment according to manufacturer's cleaning guidelines.
* Assess the patient in a systematic, organized manner.
* Provides standard respiratory therapy services as directed and assigned by the team leader or designee in accordance with physician's written orders and respiratory therapy protocols within the duties of respiratory therapy tech-approved competency service according to their work permit/license.
* Educates patient and family on disease processes and make appropriate documentation.
* Prepares and maintains patient and departmental records as assigned by the team leader or designee.
* Practices universal precautions and isolation techniques.
* Exhibits flexibility in working in assigned areas including critical care and accepts additional assignments
* Provide quality patient care in all patient care settings by performing procedures currently accepted by Pulmonary Managers, Medical Directors, and National Standards to assure the best possible patient outcomes. Clinical care is consistent with established policies, procedures, and standards of care.
* Accurately communicates patient information and thoroughly documents respiratory therapy actions.
* Listens and acknowledges patients/families knowledge of self and engages their participation in care
* Observes and reports changes of patient condition to MD/RN or other related members of the health care team.
* Provides continuity of care with an accurate and thorough report.
* Ensures physician's orders for therapy are carried out and the patient is evaluated for therapy.
* Maintains a clean, safe, and economical patient environment and work environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northwest Health is an equal opportunity employer and committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact
Ryan at [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Respiratory Therapist Tech - PRN (As Needed), Evenings (3pm - 11pm) **$2,50
- Clinical Works
- Critical Care
- Peak Expiratory Flow