POSITION SUMMARY/CLASS DESCRIPTIONBRIEF DESCRIPTION:
Howard County Recreation and Parks operates Roger Carter Community Center. This position performs technical level recreation services work ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the Center. This position provides key support and customer service for early morning, night and weekend hours including the opening and closing of the center, processing registrations and customer service duties when full-time staff may not be present.This is a contingent position.RATE OF PAY
: Contingent - Paraprofessional - $15.00 - $21.00 per hour
Salary commensurate with experience. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESDUTIES:
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Sets a positive example for fellow contingent staff, provides leadership, and shares knowledge.
- Expert proficiency with ActiveNet membership and program registration to include running detailed reports and troubleshooting.
- Provides before and after-hours registration support when main office registration is closed.
- Provides administrative support including data processing, filing, completing facility forms, making phone calls as directed, and daily cash drops.
- Handles ActiveNet room rental reservations and/or room reservation requests.
- Ability to accurately recite pool rules and aquatics procedures, where applicable.
- Responsibility of keys and alarm codes and opening and closing of the center.
- Availability and flexibility to cover a variety of shift times as needed. Including early mornings, late nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Performs center safety and maintenance checks.
- Assists customers with online program registration.
- Coordinates set up and take down of equipment and monitors the proper use of the equipment.
- Answers a multi-line phone and directs calls to the appropriate coordinator; monitors an assigned email account.
- Provides marketing and program promotion to all customers.
- Assists in planning and directing the daily operation of the center.
- Maintains cleanliness of interior and exterior appearance of the center.
- Communicates clearly and courteously with internal and external customers.
- Reports accidents, injuries, incidences and property loss/damage.
- Maintains control of center patrons and enforces center rules.
- Wears the provided Recreation and Parks shirt and employee badge.
- Knowledgeable of center operations by other County Departments.
- Provides marketing, phone assistance and customer support for Center Operations.
- Provides support as needed to full time facility staff.
- Maintains traffic flow within the facility including exit monitoring and member access.
- May be involved in concession assistances.
- May be involved in handling emergency situations (i.e. protest, staff/contractor no shows, customer accident/incident, inclement weather).
- Ability to serve as tournament, league and event staff and occasional substitute as class instructor as needed.
- Provide facility tours.
- Provide set up for rentals and community events.
- Performs other duties as needed to ensure the smooth operations of the center.
- Ability to supervise and train other contingent staff (level II only).
- Is flexible, reliable, and responsible.
- Read and follow written and oral directions.
- Possesses good communication and organizational skills.
- Able to work independently and under pressure.
- Enjoys working and able to maintain effective relationships with the public.
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively to manage large crowds.
- Ability to communicate with public safety officials in emergency and non-emergency situations, communicate with park officials, complete detailed reports, ability to manage numerous activities within a facility.
- Demonstrates awareness of safety and maintenance.
- Knows Microsoft Office Suite.
- Exemplifies the mission, vision, and core values of the Howard County Recreation and Parks Department.
- Certified in First Aid, CPR and AED, or obtain within six months of employment.
- General knowledge of aquatics, where appropriate.
- Ability to complete food service provider training, where appropriate.
Level I: Have a basic understanding of recreation and park operations.
Level II: Minimum one year of experience. EDUCATION
: Must be 18 years of age or older and possess a high school diploma or GED equivalency. RATE OF PAY:
Contingent - (salary commensurate with experience)
Level I Minimum wage-$18.00/hour (Paraprofessional)
Level II $18.00 - $21.00/hour (Professional)
Employees in this category may not be eligible for all County benefits.
01 The supplemental questions are a very important first step in our screening process. Therefore, you are required to complete these questions so that we may initially determine your eligibility for this position. A lack of detail and explanation in the supplemental questions and in your application may result in failure or disqualification for this position. This means you will be ineligible for further consideration in this recruitment process. Please check "yes" to show that you have read and understand this statement.
02 Do you have basic knowledge of public relations and Recreation and Parks?
03 Do you possess certification in First Aid, CPR, and AED?
04 Do you possess certification in Concussion Safety, American Sport Education (ASEP) and Coaches Registry?
05 Do you possess a high school diploma or GED?
06 Are you able to lift 40 pounds?
07 Do you have customer service experience? If so, please explain.
08 Are you at least 18 years of age?
09 I understand I am responsible for maintaining the accuracy of my contact information, including my street address, my e-mail address, and my contact telephone numbers. My failure to maintain accurate contact information may result in my not receiving information regarding this job announcement and/or may result in my not being further considered for this employment opportunity. To update this information visit www.governmentjobs.com, click on the "career seekers" link, and follow the prompts.
10 I certify that the information submitted in this application is true and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that providing false, erroneous, and/or misleading information may result in elimination from the hiring process and termination of employment if hired.
- I have read and understand the language outlined above.
* Required Question
- Aquatic Therapy
- Automated External Defibrillator
- Customer Service