Engineering Project Manager
The Engineering Project Manager will lead the project team with advanced degrees of direct and indirect project responsibilities utilizing a fully developed knowledgebase of the telecommunications site development process. Project work will focus on new site development of macro and small cell sites, the modification of existing telecommunications facilities, fiber optic networks, and other project types as required. Direct project responsibilities will focus on personnel management, project production and reporting, and leadership. Indirect project responsibilities will support the internal manager through client reporting, scope-of-work confirmation and assistance with financial management. Additional project responsibilities will include mentorship and training. Advanced problem solving and analytics will be employed and shared with the team. Project leadership will be applied across all disciplines and divisions.
- In collaboration with design and engineering staff, oversee:
o The engineering of tower and compound locations (i.e., site layout, grading, stormwater management design, and culvert design)
o The development of construction plan reviews and production for telecommunications client equipment upgrades and modifications while utilizing a baseline understanding of structural engineering concepts
o The design of new conduit routes for fiber optic utility companies from existing infrastructure to proposed destination in public right-of-way and private property
o The engineering of fiber optic network designs as the project dictates
o The design of existing fiber optic facilities within the public for permanent or temporary relocation in the public right-of-way
- Self-perform engineering designs as the project dictates
- Anticipate and identify problems with project scoping, engineering, design, construction issues, regulatory issues, zoning requirements, and other factors that may render a site unusable or inhibit a project scope to be carried out.
- Act as a liaison between company and the client regarding project status, project scope and other project issues.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the engineering project team
- Manage the project's support staff
- Engage and direct inter-company teams within the project parameters
- Develop and maintain the project schedule
- Maintain internal and client databases and project trackers as required within the project
- Lead internal deployment meetings with other multi-disciplinary managers and team members to review project statuses and implement changes necessary to ensure timely completion.
- Attend and present during internal and client status meetings as required within the project
- Represent company in a professional manner when interacting with landlords, external vendors and clients
- Assess project risks and collaborate with management to alleviate such risks. Risks include project viability as well as delays to the project timeline.
- Assist team members through shared knowledge, training and mentorship associated with similar project responsibilities.
- Provide guidance, best practices and lessons learned to the team
- Identify and correct project performance issues
- Assist the manager with financial management and project budgets as needed
- Financial management to include P&L reviews and management of the total financial cycle including project sales, revenue recognition, unbilled and accounts receivable.
- Interact with corporate services and other internal groups to provide project support and leadership, and troubleshoot issues.
- Bachelors or Advanced Engineering or Engineering Technology Degree preferred
- PE preferred
- 8+ years' engineering experience in telecommunications site development
- Proven track record of success on multiple telecommunications projects and multiple client settings
- Proficiency in AutoCAD 2018 required, Civil 3D 2018 preferred
- Professional and applicable understanding of engineering design principles, guides and standards
- Professional and applicable understanding of project management principles
- Practical knowledge of all telecommunications site development disciplines, including site acquisition, land use, RF and construction management
- Strong written and oral communications skills, including public speaking and presentation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work efficiently and independently, multi-task, meet stringent deadlines and achieve project goals
- Ability to share knowledge, provide training and mentorship
- Detail-oriented and possess strong follow-through skills
- Ability and willingness to travel locally
Interpersonal Communication - Ability to effectively and efficiently communicate with employees not only on one's team, but also with other departments to meet a common goal
Management - Ability to take responsibility for one's own or one's employees' performance by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, providing feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly
Entrepreneurial Orientation - Ability to look for and seize profitable business opportunities; willingness to take calculated risks to achieve business goals
Delegation - Ability to delegate responsibility and to work with others and coach them to develop a timely outcome
Decisiveness - Ability to make difficult decisions in a timely manner
Building Effective Team - Cultivates team strengths in alignment with strategic objectives