Evaluate and determine the credit risks of larger, more complex commercial clients through detailed financial statement analysis, industry assessment, collateral valuation, cash flow analysis and the ability to repay annual debt service.RESPONSBILITIES
- Facilitate the credit needs of customers by underwriting new requests and material modifications from deal screen through approval. Ensure a successful transition of new customers/loans to monitoring team for ongoing continuous credit monitoring.
- Review all pertinent credit and financial information, including but not limited to financial statements, tax returns, due diligence reports, credit bureaus, appraisals, internal credit information, industry research and peer data. Determine the need for more thorough investigation or additional information, and coordinate gathering of such information.
- Analyze financial information and related materials and complete the credit analyses for the Bank’s commercial transactions. Written analyses to include an independent credit quality assessment with well-supported risk rating, identification of and description of credit risks and mitigants, industry concerns, market trends, financial trends, and other pertinent credit issues of respective deals.
- Partner proactively with relationship managers and portfolio managers, and be intimately involved throughout the deal process, from deal screen through approval.
- Spread financial statements and prepare financial models designed to sensitize various conditions impacting the proposed transaction. Prepare cash flow, collateral schedules, covenant sensitivity calculations, financial models, and guarantor statement analysis as appropriate.
- Attend client/prospect calls with RMs to gain a thorough understanding of the client/prospect and their business to effectively analyze and underwrite the proposed transaction. Based on underwriting parameters, recommend the risk rating.
- Prepare summary, present facts, and offers opinions concerning credit-worthiness.
- Assist in the structure of loan requests, where appropriate, to include suggestions on terms, conditions, controls, collateral, and guarantors.
- Displays deep understanding of financial regulatory environment as it applies to underwriting most forms of commercial credit transactions.
- Ensure credit policy compliance by verifying adherence of underwriting to the Commercial Credit Policy, and evaluating any risk associated with non-compliance
- Present analysis or address questions during credit request discussions or committee presentations.
- Adhere to applicable compliance/operational risk controls in accordance with Company or regulatory standards and policies.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
The Commercial Credit Underwriting Department is responsible to provide an independent credit quality assessment of the Bank's commercial clients. These assessments range from initial analyses of new relationships to the Bank to material modifications or restructurings of long-term relationships. The Department also is responsible for ensuring the accurate completion of the Bank's risk rating scorecards and financial statement spreads. The work completed in this capacity is used to make new credit decisions.
The position interacts with commercial banking relationship managers throughout the bank’s footprint as well as other internal personnel on credit approvals of $30+MM typically.
Works independently with limited supervision.
Customer interaction is expected.MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
Input into training of junior/newly hired UnderwritersEDUCATION REQUIRED
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or related fieldEXPEREINCE REQUIRED
5 years’ experience in commercial credit, public accounting, financial statement preparation/analysis or other financial analysis.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Excellent analytical abilityLocation
Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
- Accounting Control