To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Lake Forest, IL
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Consultant, LTOE (Leadership, Talent, and Organizational Effectiveness)
Grainger • Lake Forest, IL
Posted 1 day ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
The Consultant will predominantly support North American, cross-border work collaborating with HR leaders and business partners to create appropriate and proactive solutions to achieve successful business outcomes through its people. The Consultant will be responsible for supporting planning, design and implementation of relevant human capital strategies with the goal of fostering leader, organization, team and individual effectiveness.
The Consultant will work on one to several initiatives under the guidance of a more senior team member. The Consultant is responsible to deliver timely, high-quality work products and team effectively while contributing to the human capital solutions.
The Consultant plays a critical execution role in support of deploying human capital strategies in areas such as performance management, capability development, talent planning, high-performing leaders & teams, career development, learning and development, employee engagement, organizational design, culture and change management.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Works collaboratively with HR partners, business leaders and other team members to assess organizational opportunities and design human capital solutions that achieve business outcomes.
- Translates human capital practices into practical business solutions and works successfully within cross-functional teams to plan, deploy, embed and sustain enterprise-wide business initiatives.
- Translates learning strategy and utilizes appropriate learning methodologies to deploy relevant, impactful learning deliverables.
- Demonstrates flexibility to shift from strategic to tactical work depending on the situation and role required.
- Researches, benchmarks and develops new t service offerings to support the needs of the enterprise.
- Demonstrates consultative, relationship building, interpersonal and influence skills in dealing with all levels of HR and business management and is effective at quickly establishing credibility and developing working relationships.
- Helps to create communication strategies that support critical initiatives in the form of message and plan development.
- Coaches managers to reinforce knowledge and skills resulting in transforming learning interventions into workplace performance.
- Support the assessment, diagnosis, design, and development of key talent needs at all levels. Supports the creation of talent plans.
- Must be able to research information and analyze quantitative and qualitative data to arrive at valid conclusions, recommendations, and plans of action.
- Drive and support the continuous improvement of learning deliverables utilizing learner feedback and effectiveness data.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Strong business and financial acumen: Has key working knowledge of how a business functions, the key processes, drivers and leverage points. Understands the company’s operating models. Can develop detailed, zero-based budgets, articulate a business case and establish/track metrics, scorecards, etc. Has ability to translate and articulate key business drivers/strategies and their relationship to human performance strategies.
- Consulting skills: Influencer and coach (as a business leader first and offers HR leader expertise) across the organization and within the HR function. Able to link business strategies with people strategies and scope work efforts to achieve desired business outcomes.
- Problem Solving and Strategic Thinking: Systemic thinker that provides thought leadership in driving integration between talent processes. Uses multiple problem-solving tools and techniques. Anticipates business needs and integrates these needs into approach.
- Communication Skills: Strong written and verbal communication skills. Presents views and arguments well to a variety of levels and audiences. Can explain concepts in a way that is simple.
- Relationship Building: Builds strong partnerships with key stakeholders. Readily establishes rapport and credibility with a variety of levels and audiences. Viewed as a valued consultative expert.
- Process Orientation/ Continuous Improvement Focus: Is an effective process, workflow, and systems designer. Skilled at determining key success measures to evaluate and improve upon process quality. Strong ability to simplify and/or reengineer processes to drive desired outcomes, while eliminating waste.
- Results and delivery orientation: Strong drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line. Not afraid to act and drive results with limited information.
- Project Planning & Management: ability to effectively scope and plan projects; ability to develop and manage to a comprehensive project plan, ensuring it describes all tasks, deliverables, dates and roles
- Meeting Planning & Facilitation: ability to plan and conduct successful meetings, interviews and focus groups with clear objectives and outcomes.
- Learning & Development Acumen: knowledge of instructional design, learning technology and adult learning theory.
- Agility / Intellectual Curiosity: Ability to navigate a complex, matrixed environment, politically aware, agile and resourceful. Demonstrates intellectual curiosity and learning agility.
- Collaboration, Influence & Teamwork: Maneuvers well to get things done across a complex, matrixed organization. Politically aware and agile. Relates well to a variety of audiences- up, down, lateral, inside, and outside. Is resourceful- builds diverse networks and teams with others effectively. Skilled at balancing the needs and inputs of multiple variable stakeholders, while driving the best solution for Grainger.
- Ethical: Highly ethical, high integrity; does the right thing for the business and our team members; maintains confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required. MBA or Masters in Organizational Development, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Human Resources, Learning & Development or related field is preferred.
- 3-5 years progressive leadership in human resource management or comparable area;
- Experience in consulting, providing strategic recommendations to corporate and field clients.
- Experience deploying instructional design, learning technology and adult learning theory.
- Experience in operationalizing talent strategies in a global, complex, matrixed organization is preferred.
- Experience in measurement/ analytics (data collection, analysis and interpretation) to support fact-based, predictive decision making.
- Previous success in influencing without direct authority to effectively manage the needs of multiple variable stakeholders.
- Previous success in leading large scale, complex enterprise-wide change initiatives
- Previous experience with talent management technology solutions preferred.
Travel Requirements: Must be able to travel within and outside the U.S.; up to 20%
The impact of decisions made by the individual in this role would affect: the job itself, others within COE, the HR function and the business group(s) involved in each initiative.
Sample decisions and activities could be to:
- Application of enterprise-wide processes/tools/methodologies
- Work directly with leaders and managers to conduct interviews, leading meetings, facilitating team development activities, etc.
- Work with sensitive talent management data
- Collaborate with business leaders and human resource partners to assess needs and determine appropriate human performance strategies
- External research/ benchmarking organizations (evaluate best practices and determine how such practices can be implemented at Grainger)
COE Leaders, HR Generalists, Center of Excellence partners, and multiple levels of business leadership (individual contributors, managers, and director level).
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.