X-energy is an entrepreneurial Gen IV nuclear power plant and fuel design company that recently signed an award winning $2,500,000,000.00/ 7 year agreement with the US Department of Energy to complete the design, licensing and construction of its compellingly safe and revolutionary design. We are aggressively staffing up with the world's most ambitious and devoted talent who share our vision of providing carbon-free, safe energy to prevent destructive global warming. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to work for a company intent upon dominating the free market by compelling its selection as the premier nuclear energy power plant of choice around the world for the 21st Century!
The primary function of the Materials Engineer-Graphite role is to perform design oversight of structural graphite systems for high-temperature gas cooled (HTGR) reactors. This includes concept development, evaluation of concepts, neutron irradiation testing oversight, and design and analysis of components for operation within a reactor environment.
In this role, specifically, the candidate must have a firm understanding of both material and mechanical aspects of structural graphite as well neutron interactions with matter as it relates to graphite
- Develop mechanical/physical concepts, designs, and processes to create structures, systems and components (SSCs), as it relates to structural graphite for HTGRs.
- Develop analysis plans for assessing structural graphite components within a HTGR
- Perform analysis utilizing hand calculations and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to evaluate graphite structural components
- Assess graphite SSCs for manufacturability as well as assembly and integration considerations
- Oversee a neutron irradiation testing and qualification program
- Engage with vendors to produce structural graphite components for nuclear applications
- Coordinate and iterate design efforts with fluid dynamics, seismic/structural dynamics, electrical, neutronic, manufacturing, and other systems to understand impacts and ensure compatibility with each
- Perform work in accordance with X-energy Configuration Management Plan (CMP); maintain system and model compatibility in X-energy’s Teamcenter Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience in Material Science/Engineering or related field specializing in graphite materials
- 3 years of experience in a related discipline
- In-depth knowledge designing complex components using 3D CAD modeling software; integration of models from various CAD software vendors. Siemens NX is preferred; KeyCreator, Solidworks, inventor, CREO, etc. also acceptable
- Understanding of Section III-5 of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code as it relates to structural graphite for nuclear reactors
- Knowledge of the various material phenomena that occur as graphite ages with neutron exposure in an HTGR environment
- Knowledge of structural analysis hand calculations and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software such as ANSYS
- Experience in conceptualizing and developing complex 3-D complex assemblies
- Ability to work in a team to produce desired outputs in short turnaround
- A complete understanding of the material properties, characteristics and behavior of high-purity graphite for nuclear applications
- Technical proficiency in 3-dimensional design modelling tools and software
- Technical proficiency in Finite Element Analysis software and structural analysis hand calculations
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm, Mon-Fri
We are looking to fill this position immediately
X Energy, LLC is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We welcome the employment of women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in our workforce. If you are in need of special assistance, please contact our Human Resources Department. X Energy, LLC participates in eVerify.
- Finite Element Methods
- Siemens Nx
- Solid Works (Cad)
- 3 D Modeling
- Structural Analysis
- Computer Aided Design