TITLE: Nuclear Licensing Engineer
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA, USA
TerraPower is a nuclear technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At its core, the company is working to raise living standards globally through a more affordable, secure and environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy along with innovations in medical isotopes to improve human health. In 2006, TerraPower originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment. TerraPower’s mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field. As a result, the company’s activities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications – all for significant human health benefits.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward-thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape and bringing forward the critical production of medical isotopes. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
Nuclear Licensing Engineer
TerraPower is seeking a highly motivated Nuclear Licensing Engineer to be a part of the Regulatory Affairs team. This position reports to the License Application Development Manager and provides day-to-day licensing support of TerraPower projects, develops licensing programs and establishes regulatory requirements. Works in close consultation with Engineering staff to ensure regulatory requirements are identified and implemented in accordance with TerraPower licensing strategy. Defines and executes the licensing strategy and manages interactions with the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission including pre-application discussions, preparing/reviewing topical reports and other reactor licensing documentation, and responding to requests for additional information.
- Assisting in the successful implementation of licensing actions
- Coordinating with design personnel to ensure new designs and design changes meet regulatory requirements
- Preparing, reviewing, and maintaining licensing documentation in compliance with regulations and strict quality assurance standards
- Interfacing with technical discipline teams at TerraPower, partners and contractors
- Preparing and reviewing technical material prepared by themselves and others
- Reviewing correspondence to and from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Assisting with safety analysis report (SAR) revisions and preparation
- Preparing or reviewing safety and environmental evaluations
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited, four-year university or equivalent experience
- Capability and willingness to adhere to strict quality assurance standards.
- Self-Starter with ability to manage deadlines
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Professional
- 2-3 years demonstrated, applicable experience in nuclear licensing, or comparable field Familiarity with the following is considered desirable:
- US NRC 10 CFR Regulations
- US NRC guidance related to 10CFR regulations implementation (Regulatory Guides, Standard Review Plans, Interim Staff Guidance documents, Generic Communications)
- Project management and project management tools experience with the capability and willingness to assume full responsibility for a project task
- Excellent written and oral English skills.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined based on assessment of qualifications.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-50%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.
Please visit [ Link removed ] to apply
Microsoft Power Point