A Portfolio Manager must be an analytical, organized individual with good verbal and written communication skills. This individual will be responsible for completing an in-depth analysis of commercial loan requests, as well as making recommendations based on analysis. Primary responsibilities include underwriting, approving, monitoring and maintaining the credit quality of a loan portfolio. Portfolio Managers maintain working relationships with the customers. Additional responsibilities include ordering and interpreting due diligence items (environmental, appraisal, inspections, front end construction analysis, etc.).
- Manage a portfolio of commercial accounts – typically 15-40 relationships.
- Maintain working relationships with customers and Agent Banks.
- Prepare Flagstar Approval Memos, Modifications and Portfolio Reviews (for new approvals, renewals, amendments, etc.).
- Work with the Relationship Manager to discuss appropriate credit structures using in-depth credit analysis and industry and company research while also ensuring compliance with all external and internal policies.
- Collect and track borrower financial information (statements, borrowing base certificates, leases, guarantor information) & test loan covenants.
- Set up required reporting and covenant tracking ticklers for new customers. Ensure loans are properly booked and coded.
- Special projects as directed by management.
- Attend Credit & Sales Team Meetings, approval Committees and Deal screening meetings.
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Complete all required compliance training. Maintain knowledge of and adhere to Flagstar's internal compliance policies and procedures. Take responsibility to keep up to date with changing regulations and policies.
- Collaborate with other PM’s to share best practices.
Portfolio Manager I
- 3-6 years of experience, may include less experience per management evaluation of individuals demonstrated the ability or met requirements of the portfolio manager position
- Handles transactions/relationships/portfolio with the lowest level of complexity
Portfolio Manager II
- 6-10 years of experience
- Handles transactions/relationships/portfolio with moderate level of complexity
Senior Portfolio Manager
- 10+ years of experience
- Handles transactions/relationships/portfolio with high level of complexity
- Experience working with less experienced team members to mentor and develop them, sharing expertise and insights
- Must possess highly advanced credit analysis skills (prefer a candidate with formal credit training)
- Working knowledge of account inquiries and investigation.
- Working knowledge of systems and profitability charts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial statement analysis.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of leadership and employees within the organization.
- Ability to work autonomously, handle multiple projects simultaneously and adapt to new demands and challenges.
- Familiarity with AFS and Baker Hill/Experian is a plus.
- Credit Analysis or Loan Review experience, preferably in the banking industry.
- Must be proficient in basic software applications, such as Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel & PowerPoint and have a basic knowledge of online researching.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written skills, interpersonal skills, and analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to travel up to 10%.
Internal Use Only: Band E, F or G
Complex Problem Solving
Leasing (Contract Law)