This is a summer internship for a college student. The role will last approximately 12 weeks over the summer at our Blauvelt, NY facility.
The focus of this position is to assist the operations department to identify & implement shop floor process improvements that increase output and reduce overall costs.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
* Help create and maintain shop floor work instructions including specifications, engineering changes/process control, and tooling definition/requirements
* Conduct time observation studies
* Participate in lean manufacturing initiatives that support continuous process improvement.
* Significant interaction with the hourly workforce, quality, safety, sourcing and other functions on projects.
* Scope, plan and execute manufacturing engineering requests issued internally including improving manufacturing efficiencies, implementation of engineering changes, improving product quality, and supporting production line with technical issues.
* Provide analysis and documentation on various processes currently in place.
* Other duties as designated.
* Candidates must be a current student pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree in Engineering, Manufacturing, Mechanical, or Industrial preferred.
* Must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
* Senior-Year candidate preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
* Must be authorized to work in the U.S.; and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
* Past hands-on experience with mechanical systems required.
* Knowledge on Lean principles and understanding of different quality standards like six-sigma.
* Understanding of measurement systems, accuracy, tolerancing, and GD&T.
* Ability to present complex data effectively through charts/tables/graphs/pivot tables.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to communicate with colleagues throughout all departments and levels of the organization professionally and effectively.
This position has no direct reports
While performing the duties, the employee will be working in an office environment with exposure to the plant floor as well as the Engineering Test Facility. The employee is required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to handle objects and other tools. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The Employee may be required to lift up to 20 pounds.
* Work in the office environment or work in a manufacturing environment.
* May occasionally be required to perform job duties outside the typical office setting.
* As required by the Americans Disabilities Act (ADA)
Watts is committed to equal employment opportunity. We follow a policy of administering all employment decisions and personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, national origin, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, genetic disposition or carrier status, marital status, military or veteran status, minorities, or any other category protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. Consistent with the obligations of state and federal law, Watts will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Any employee who needs a reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources.
- Lean Manufacturing
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Measurement And Metrology
- Mechanical Systems