The Category Director of Merchandising provides collaborative guidance and ultimate oversight with respect to the merchandise approach for macro store clusters, and is responsible for meeting planned sales, margin percent and dollars and GMROI for their designated categories. The objectives of this position will be met through focused merchandise assortments, productive marketing and sound financial merchandise management in addition to the effective training and development of category teams on processes and tools. The Category Director of Merchandising drives the selection for the range, type and quantity of products according to customer demand, industry trends, store policy and financial budget. By thoroughly understanding customer needs, the Category Director maximizes profits and provides a viable range of merchandise priced in accordance within categories they manage. Staying abreast of market trends and reacting to changes in demand are key elements of the role. This position is responsible for ensuring that merchandise is purchased, marketed, and presented to maximize sales results while enhancing the overall department, group and company strategy. The Category Director reports directly to the Vice President of Merchandising and has responsibility for specific categories within a line of business. The Category Director works closely with the team and Store Support Center teams to plan and execute merchandising strategies. Principal Duties & Responsibilities:1.Develop and execute buying strategies designed to meet or exceed sales, margin and inventory turn goals.
4.Monitor performance compared to plan and identify trends and opportunities
- Oversight for execution and maintenance of inventory plans for large, complex or high-risk categories and subcategories.
- Responsible for the training, coaching, and development of Store Support Center teams on new processes and tools.
6.Develop customer-centric strategic and detailed assortment plans and ensure that merchandise selection matches customer demands and expectations
- Manage all aspects of the merchandise offering including product selection, vendor negotiations, promotional planning, pricing, store placement and distribution.
2.Provide strategic input to the Merchandise Planners to develop a merchandise plan and complete accurate forecasts by evaluating all relevant financial information, including current trends and anticipated market changes. Provide input and support to the planning organization in the development of merchandise plans, seasonal plans, assortment plans, key item strategies, ladder plans and others3.Work collaboratively with Planners and Pricing to execute markdown management in accordance with developed guidelines4.Ensure merchandise mix provides an appropriate balance between quality, quantity, style, size and price consistent with the brand character of the company5.Longer term, partner with the global sourcing team to identify and capitalize upon direct sourcing opportunities, as well as quality control team to ensure quality of products
- Responsible for brand management, product development and managing the open market. Integrate brand (including private label), sourcing, marketing, tech services and retail supply chain functions into the merchandising process to make business decisions.
Partner with marketing team to design marketing and promotional plans that maximize incremental sales, gross margin dollars and coop. Ensure accuracy of promotional information 1.including pricing and signage2.Develop and maintain strong relationships with vendor partners and consistently operate within Family Dollar Stores standards, policies and Codes of Ethics. Manage individual vendor performance and vendor mix to maximize profitability and achieve overall financial objectives
- Establish collaborative relationship with the allocation team to ensure the proper balance and availability of merchandise. Communicate and work with the replenishment to achieve stated goals related to service levels and inventory turn
4.Attend relevant trade shows, markets and events to identify market trends, gather product information, select merchandise and establish business relationships with viable vendors5.Shop local Dollar Tree Incorporated stores, as well as other comparative retail stores, on a regular basis to identify new trends and opportunities, evaluate merchandise mix, evaluate competition, and translate findings into executable product plans
- Initiate all system input required to initiate new items and vendors and ensure necessary changes are made to maintain the accuracy of essential information
- Responsible for work-related travel (approximately 10 – 20% of the time)
- Other job-related duties as assigned
Office work environment, 40+ work hours per week Minimum Requirements: Education:
Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university or equivalent experience / training preferred.Experience:
4-6 years of combined buying, planning, allocations and replenishment responsibilities and 2 or more years of related
experience as a Buyer and developing a team.Technical Skills
: Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and Windows-based programs as well as retail math; Strong
merchandising, product, trend and analytical skillsCritical Skills
: Demonstrated leadership and decision making skills; dedicated to providing the highest quality products and services
which meet or exceed the needs of the customer.