Best Buddies International is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, leadership development, and inclusive living for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
Best Buddies is the world’s largest organization dedicated to ending the social, physical and economic isolation of the 200 million people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Our programs empower the special abilities of people with IDD by helping them form meaningful friendships with their peers, secure successful jobs, live independently, improve public speaking, self-advocacy, and communication skills, and feel valued by society.
Job Title: Senior Director, Government Relations (Pre-ETS)
Department: Government Relations
Reports to: Vice President, Government Relations
Position Overview: The senior director, government relations (Pre-ETS) is responsible for securing contracts with state vocational rehabilitation agencies to fund pre-employment transition services (Pre-ETS), as well as grant applications to other government agencies.
Job Requirements – Qualified applicants must have:
- Bachelor’s degree and seven years of contracts or government agency experience
- Superior research skills and ability to understand data from disability programs and how it affects Best Buddies
- Outstanding attention to detail, including the ability to review and edit complex materials and interpret them for others
- Superior persuasive writing skills with the ability to articulate the mission, goals, and activities of Best Buddies with enthusiasm
- Superior presentation skills with the ability to persuasively articulate the mission, goals, and activities of Best Buddies with enthusiasm
- Strong project management skills - including planning, analysis, decision making, and problem solving - and willingness to multitask
- Experience engaging with government agency staff
- Must be comfortable with national travel as needed and willing to work evenings and weekends as necessary to accomplish job responsibilities
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work with state and program teams across the organization to ensure alignment with the Best Buddies’ mission
- Act as staff contact for state agencies that regulate Pre-ETS for people with disabilities
- Research process to become a Pre-ETS vendor and disseminate timelines, requirements, etc. to state staff and national transitions team for consideration during expansion planning
- Serve as point of contact with assigned state staff in the preparation of new applications and contract renewals following internal compliance process
- Prepare all applications, assemble required documents, create program description/program model, business plan, and all other required sections
- When applicable, set up accounts and registrations with required state databases for managing contracts, electronic billing, background screening, etc.
- Work closely with contracts director to execute, submit, and file all Pre-ETS contracts, renewals, and other miscellaneous documentation requested throughout the term of the contract
- Keep key staff apprised of the status of our applications
- Follow-up with state agencies regarding questions, timelines, additional information required
- Continue to work with state staff once Pre-ETS has begun to advise regarding rate increases, progress on reaching goals, and all other relevant information
- Host training calls with state staff to review details and highlights of contracts
- Assist states on government contract issues as necessary
- Assist with the creation and/or review of state or contract specific policies and procedures required to execute contracts
- Travel to states as needed to meet with agencies or state staff regarding new contract proposals, expansion efforts, etc.
- Work closely with state operations and programs staff to provide any training, technical assistance, or support to prepare for accreditation visits, site visits, or contract monitoring
- Prepare summary of Pre-ETS funding for each state and participate in budgeting calls as requested
Best Buddies® is an affirmative action employer, in addition to an EOE and M/F/V/PWD/PV employer. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are foundational to Best Buddies International’s core values and help the organization continue to achieve its mission. Here at Best Buddies, our goal is to lead and advocate for a more inclusive world.
Best Buddies offers a comprehensive and generous benefits programs that include financial security, health and wellness and time off.