To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Chantilly, VA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Principal Engineer, IT (Splunk)
PenFed Credit Union • Chantilly, VA
Posted 28 days ago
Principal Engineer, IT (Splunk)
PenFed is hiring a Principal Engineer, IT (Splunk) in Chantilly, Virginia. The primary purpose of this job is to provide the highest level of technical expertise and functional knowledge for the evaluation, selection and implementation of highly complex enterprise infrastructure technologies and applications. This role also include operational and support responsibilities like troubleshooting complex incidents and ensuring the broader operations team has the information needed to support newly deployed technologies.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Work as the highest-level technical engineering expert for IT Security Engineering Logging technologies. Act as an internal consultant and architect for the IT Security Engineering team.
- Design, implement, and evaluate current and future infrastructure initiatives for the highest level of efficiency and performance.
- Resolve and isolate complex hardware and software problems involving applications, operating systems, hardware, communications infrastructure, or any combination of these.
- Develop, modify and implement standard operating procedures for hardware/software, and system design, originate specifications, control documents, verification and validation plans, procedures, reports, or other documentation in support of design and development activities.
- Assist management and engineering staff in the evaluation, analysis, architecture, design, and implementation of enterprise infrastructure and application programs and projects.
- Lead the Enterprise Architecture designs, guidance and requirements, so they can be incorporated into departmental processes and technical documents.
- Accountable for development and implementation of engineering standards and processes.
- Research, analyze, evaluate and provide recommendations to management on future technology direction including but not limited to Network, Compute, Storage, Endpoints and Mobile technologies.
- Perform peer review on complex change implementations, to ensure completeness of approach along with zero impact to members unless properly coordinated.
- Deploy and document changes in accordance with enterprise problem and change management processes.
- Proactively identify solutions to potential infrastructure issues / embrace simplification.
- Serve as escalation point for high severity issues and troubleshoot / resolve complex infrastructure related incidents.
- Lead problem management and root cause analysis discussions with fellow engineers and analysts.
- Provide assistance and expertise to management on improvements to company productivity, systems performance, high availability, monitoring, and operational costs.
- Provide training, mentoring, consulting, and knowledge transfer to other engineering staff.
- Work with management and engineering staff to analyze, plan, coordinate, document and implement changes and enhancements. Analyze the impact to reduce down time or failures.
- Maintain close relations with vendors and resellers. Assist management in maintaining service agreements, maintenance contracts, or other assigned vendor related administrative duties.
- Drive and be accountable for all assigned tasks, and is continuously self-challenged in setting and delivering on agreed deadlines and milestones.
- Serve as technical team lead on programs or projects that are assigned by management.
- Require the ability to thoroughly understand the entire enterprise environment and use that knowledge to consult and design end-to-end solutions that meet business and IT goals and strategies.
Education and Experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field required.
- In lieu of a degree, combination of education and a minimum of twelve (12) years’ of related work experience is required that provides the necessary skills and knowledge to perform all the essential job functions.
- Powerful analytical and problem-solving skills- including the ability to develop solutions in new and creative ways.
- Professional understanding of foundational Enterprise Architecture, Cloud, Network, Security, Data, and Audit principles and practices required.
- Experience in developing the architectural designs, topologies and implementation engineering guidance documents essential for programs and projects is required.
- Deep comprehension of the cloud technologies and their applications.
- Strong practical knowledge and experience with core ITIL Service Operation, Service Design, and Service Transition methodologies and practices required.
- Extensive hands on experience in research, evaluation, implementation, troubleshooting, and testing required. This includes (but not limited to) Network, Computer, Storage, Security, and End-User Technologies.
- Coach and develop junior engineers’ skills.
- Experience leading meetings with or speaking to Managers, Directors, VPs and Executives.
- Experience training or mentoring both technical and non-technical diverse audiences.
- 5+ years of professional experience with system administration and System Event and Incident Management (SEIM) technologies/integrations.
- 3+ years of work experience with Splunk real-time processing architecture and deployment.
- Strong experience with Enterprise Security.
- Strong experience and comfort operating in the Linux CLI and Splunk .conf files.
- Good with RegEx
- Expert knowledge of TCP/IP and networking fundamentals.
- Strong communication, written, and verbal skills with the ability and comfort level to do presentations to potential and existing customer audiences of 5-30 people.
- Bachelor in an IT related concentration or related experience.
- Experience with software development, system architecture, and/or databases a plus.
This position will not supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
Splunk Enterprise Certified Administrator Required
Splunk Enterprise Certified Architect Preferred
Splunk Enterprise Security Administrator Preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call is required.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 1.8 million members and over $25 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and Portugal. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
Our mission isn’t simply to help our members get by. We exist to help them realize every ounce of their potential. We exist to educate, and to encourage. We exist to usher their dreams into the land of reality.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 571-289-4710.