GlobalFoundries is a leading full-service semiconductor foundry providing a unique combination of design, development, and fabrication services to some of the world’s most inspired technology companies. With a global manufacturing footprint spanning three continents, GlobalFoundries makes possible the technologies and systems that transform industries and give customers the power to shape their markets. GlobalFoundries is owned by Mubadala Investment Company. For more information, visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Failure Analysis Engineer - Summer Internship 2022.
Summary of Role\:
GlobalFoundries has a 2022 Internship Position available at the Essex, VT site for a Failure Analysis Intern.
Successful candidates will be comfortable leading improvement projects and working on a diverse team in a production environment. They will work in a dynamic collaborative environment requiring strong teaming skills with engineers, managers, technicians and manufacturing partners.
Essential Responsibilities include\:
- The incumbent of this role will be required to successfully complete a major project under the supervision of a Senior Member of the engineering staff
- For Failure Analysis we often need to be able to communicate with and electrically address a chip. In this case we are using MIPI (Mobile Industry Processor Interface) to communicate with the device and put it into a specific state. SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) and I2C are other communication protocols like MIPI. Once we can communicate with the chip and put it into a failing state, we can use advanced fault isolation techniques to try to figure out what is causing the failure.
- We have built a prototype chip communication device, using a standard Arduino. We would like to build a more robust and usable next-generation prototype (phase 1) and improve the C++ programming to make it more user-friendly.
Phase 1\: Next Generation Prototype\:
- In this phase, we would design and build a more robust prototype. This would include designing an Arduino shield with secure connectors, space for common GND connection and level shifters. Building the design and testing it for functionality.
Phase 2\: MIPI program improvement\:
- Taking the existing C++ code and improving the user experience. Usually, we only need to change a few settings, like slave address or registrar writes, to be able to communicate with a chip. We’d like to make those necessary programming changes easier to execute.
- Perform all activities in a safe and responsible manner and support all Environmental, Health, Safety & Security requirements and programs.
- Enrollment in BS/MS program in Materials Science and Engineering or similar discipline
- Good academic standing.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to analyze data and make decisions based on the proper interpretation
- Self-motivated and good ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Eagerness to learn new things
- Understanding of key Concepts related to Failure Analysis
- Previous experience working with semiconductor Industry
- Knowledge of C++
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Failure Analysis Engineer - Summer Internship 2022 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
An offer of employment with GlobalFoundries is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check and drug screen, as applicable and subject to applicable laws and regulations.
GlobalFoundries is fully committed to equal opportunity in the workplace and believes that cultural diversity within the company enhances its business potential. GlobalFoundries goal of excellence in business necessitates the attraction and retention of highly qualified people. Artificial barriers and stereotypic biases detract from this objective and may be illegally discriminatory.
All policies and processes which pertain to employees including recruitment, selection, training, utilization, promotion, compensation, benefits, extracurricular programs, and termination are created and implemented without regard to age, ethnicity, ancestry, color, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religion, political and/or third-party affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristic or category specified by local, state or federal law.
- Integrated Circuits
- Prototype (Manufacturing)
- Self Motivation
- Attention To Detail