Description Job Description:
This position will be based in Charlotte NC. Relocation support may be available to selected hires.*
No two career paths will ever look the same. At [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Distribution Engineer we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Distribution Engineer of working for a world-class employer. [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Distribution Engineer you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
In this role, you can also expect to gain
- NESC expertise
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Project management
Currently, we have an opportunity for a Lead Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering located in our Charlotte NC office. Selected candidate must work out of the Charlotte NC office.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements. Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
• Bachelors of Science in Engineering degree (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) is required and 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree with 2+ years: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering and leading teams.
- Lead and develop a team of engineers
- Manage scope, schedule and budget of work assigned
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
- Experience with BOUD or GE Smallworld
- Experience using CAD tools
- Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, SAP, Microstation
- Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
- Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
- (Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
Nice to haves
- Experience with distribution design: reconductoring projects, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects, new business projects
- Fundamentals of Engineer certification
- Professional Engineer preferred
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
- Professional dress and demeanor
10%-30% Field Inspections
60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews
10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Distribution Engineer and [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Distribution Engineer.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Distribution Engineer, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Distribution Engineer” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
PDSDLINEExternal Referral Bonus:
EligiblePotential for Telework:
Yes, 75%Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:
Distribution Design EngineeringPay Range:
Engineer In Training
Geographic Information Systems
Project Management Professional