Sr Product Safety Specialist
This position reports to the Manager, Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs.
Key Activities & Responsibilities:
1. Prepare and maintain commercial and R&D composition databases, SDSs and labels, certificates of compliance (Kosher, FDA, RoHS etc.), product registrations and approvals (including IMDS, NSF, UL, etc.), for each Business Unit (BU) and otherwise ensure ongoing compliance with international, federal, state, local, and corporate product safety requirements for such BU products. (40%)
2. Counsel and advise each BU in regulatory compliance and product safety activities (i.e. TSCA, DSL/nDSL), FDA, OSHA Hazard Communication, Hazardous Materials Transportation). Support product regulatory affairs, product stewardship, and product risk management as such areas may affect the research, development, manufacture, marketing, sale, handling, transportation and advertising of the BU(s) products. (20%)
3. Propose solutions to solve product safety regulatory issues in a sustainable, sound, safe and cost-effective manner.
4. Maintain a thorough knowledge of emerging technical and regulatory issues pertaining to each BU and its products.
5. Support Manager, Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs in efforts to effectively advocate for the Company’s product safety and product stewardship positions with trade associations, government agencies and non-governmental organizations. (5%)
6. Timely and appropriately, respond to product safety and regulatory affairs inquiries from customers, Stakeholders, and agencies, regarding the BU products. (15%)
7. As directed, conduct training for BU research and development, commercial and manufacturing personnel, and customers on product safety and regulatory affairs processes, procedures and issues related to the BU products. (5%)
8. Perform all other duties as specified by supervisor. (5%)
Context & Environment
- Supports the site HES policy and complies with all regulatory and internal requirements
- Participates in HES activities provided by site management and Arkema Inc. (e.g., Behavioral Base Safety, SafeStart, etc.)
- Supports and promotes the reporting of all health, safety, environmental, near-miss, accident or injury incidents
- Ensuring that the Company’s products comply with product safety and regulatory affairs requirements is challenging and complex.
- Compliance with product safety regulations can be difficult since such regulations often differ from state to state and from country to country.
- If product safety, regulatory compliance issues are not managed appropriately, the Company can be exposed to excessive expenditures and/or legal liability or be unable to sell its products. To achieve these goals, this position must be able to implement practical technical and strategic approaches that are dynamic and integrated with sound
business management principles, fiscal responsibility, risk management techniques, and communications
- Minimal travel-10%
Required Education/Qualifications/Work Experience
- B.S. Degree in relevant field of study (e.g. environmental science, biology, chemical engineering, chemistry, toxicology) or equivalent and minimum of 5 years’ experience in a product safety/regulatory affairs or related area.
- Knowledge of relevant International, federal and state laws and regulations governing product safety such as TSCA, DSL/nDSL, FDA, OSHA Hazard Communications, hazardous materials transportation as well as knowledge of product risk management and product stewardship is essential.
- Prior experience in the completion of Toxicology & TSCA Assessments and DOT Classifications.
- Knowledgeable in The WERCs, SAP, and LoLI/Ariel.
- Current proficiency in standard office software (i.e., word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation packages).
- This position must provide these services in the most cost effective means possible to meet key business objectives and maintain compliance with regulatory requirements for protection of human health and the environment.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills are required.
- Experience in successfully interacting with diverse groups at all technical levels such as customer service, plant personnel, R&D, customers, technical consultants, contractors, etc.
- Ability to accomplish assignments, goals, objectives and projects in an accurate and timely manner with minimal supervision.
Building on its unique set of expertise in materials science, Arkema offers a portfolio of first-class technologies to address ever-growing demand for new and sustainable materials. With the ambition to become in 2024 a pure player in Specialty Materials, the Group is structured into three complementary, resilient and highly innovative segments dedicated to Specialty Materials - Adhesive Solutions, Advanced Materials, and Coating Solutions - accounting for some 80% of Group sales, and a well-positioned and competitive Intermediates segment. Arkema offers cutting-edge technological solutions to meet the challenges of, among other things, new energies, access to water, recycling, urbanization and mobility, and fosters a permanent dialogue with all its stakeholders. The Group reported sales of €9.5 billion ($10.6 billion) in 2021, and operates in 55 countries with 20,500 employees worldwide.
The diversity of its employees is an asset that the Arkema group wants to preserve. Its non-discrimination policy applies to recruitment, salary levels and career management. The Arkema group is committed to ensuring diversity among its employees.
Arkema Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Arkema Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence.
Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, Materials Science, Chemical Research, Environmental Science, Legal, Science, Engineering
- Balanced Budgeting
- Business Management
- Business Planning
- Chemical Engineering