We’re looking for data detectives. People who thrive on taming the unknown, the unclear, the hidden data points that make the difference between data and knowledge. Our Clinical Informatics team is tasked with mastering the data which our clients provide and using that mastery to determine how best to give it a home in our standardized data architecture. We deal with a broad range of sources including EHRs, adjudicated claims, and home grown custom client databases. If you find problem solving a joy, and want to the opportunity to touch the data at multiple phases (evaluation, loading, coding, building into the central database) then we should talk. This could be exactly what you’re looking for.
As a Data Engineer, you will be working with Electronic Medical Records, Billing and other data types that we receive from our health care provider clients. Where these data are part of our cadre of known data sources, you will be responsible for evaluation of those sources against the existing standard. Where they are not, you will have the added pleasure of creating the new standard which will be applied. In all cases, you will be responsible for understanding the incoming data, identifying locations of data elements of interest, putting together specifications, and implementing the corresponding code to transform the incoming data into our standardized data warehouse. This critical point drives the data shape and logical design required to meet data reporting needs.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Conduct gap analysis to compare the client’s data structure and content to that of the standard implementation for that EMR, Billing and other sources
- Look through the client’s data to locate data elements of interest to our downstream consumers across Provider, Payer and Life Sciences markets. Complex cases involve reconciliation of data in multiple locations, clever ways of imputing information from sub-par data, and de-duplication strategies
- Map client local terminologies to Optum standard concepts. Work closely with clinical informatics specialists in domains such as lab and medication data
- Writing specifications for engineers regarding how to process data. Conduct SQL based data and logical testing to ensure the specification you created are done correctly
- Work closely with engineering and operations teams as the client is implemented, to answer questions and resolve data issues that arise
- Be responsible for monthly review of client data and dictionary updates and implementing appropriate revisions to mapping tables
- Investigate data anomalies to determine root cause, specify appropriate changes and work with engineering and operations teams as the change is implemented and tested
- Research client questions on data results by identifying underlying data elements leveraged and providing descriptions of data transformations involved
- Contribute to technical documentation of specifications and processes
- Participate in the ongoing innovation, testing and use of tools used by the team to improve processes and bring scale
- Be the Subject Matter expert on the team and support product discovery and new feature rollout, onboard strategic clients
- Serve as a thought leader in informal settings and serve as project leader when called upon to do so
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 5+ years of experience working with healthcare data (HL7 v2, CCDs, 835s, 837s, claims from variety of payers etc.) sent as either Flat files/JSON/XML etc.
- 5+ years of experience working with data, analyzing data and understanding data
- 5+ years of experience working with SQL or another coding language (SAS, R, SCALA, JAVA, MATLAB etc)
- Experience with clinical processes, terminology/vocabulary ie. CPT, Revenue codes, ICD, etc.
- Experience normalizing data from disparate sources
- Experience managing clients or working with clients on tasks like requirements gathering, impact analysis etc.
- Telecommute is available for this position
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in Engineering, Computer Science, Business, or other related field in technology
- Clinical or medical data analysis or management experience
- Familiarity with Agile or experience working in Scrum teams
- Familiarity or experience working with AWS/Azure on Cloud or Big Data concepts
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $79,700 to $142,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: data engineer, data analyst, unstructured data, EMR, data detective, telecommute, remote, work from home