The Distribution Planning Engineer will solve moderately complex problems and utilize best practices and knowledge of internal/ external business issues to improve processes, studies, or projects. Work
is to be completed with minimal guidance. Applies established distribution planning criteria and uses sound utility engineering practices to identify deficiencies in the distribution system.
Utilizes complex computer aided analysis tools to develop cost efficient wire and non-wire alternative solutions to known distribution system issues. Studies new distributed generation interconnection
applications and performs system impact studies. Assists Distribution Engineers and Field Planners in evaluating system reliability and new service requirements. Follow updates in research and developments taking place in the power industry, through training and industry associations and committees. Assignments may include travel to different Avangrid network companies.
Perform detailed, moderately complex engineering analyses following not only standard methodology, criteria, and principles but other viable approaches. Develop alternate methods or planning concepts to
resolve moderately complex problems including development of cost-effective non-wires alternatives to electric distribution capital budgeted projects.
• Solves moderately complex Distribution Planning (DP) & Reliability problems. Takes a new prospective on established methods e.g. large-scale system expansion, large scale customer load additions, voltage drops, and area planning studies. Develop, prepare, maintain, and understand planning methodologies, study models and documentation (feed load, need statement, project scope, one-line diagrams) for moderately complex assignments.
• Represent Distribution Planning on assigned Avangrid demonstration projects and initiatives and industry teams. Act as a resource for colleagues with less experience and provide guidance to other team members on Distribution Planning & Reliability issues. Guide or mentor others. Review the planning and reliability engineering work of subordinate engineers & consultants. Interprets & make recommendations with respect to customer & stakeholder needs. Explains difficult issues & works to establish consensus.
• Promotes cross functional teamwork on assigned tasks and projects. Assist in guiding and mentoring engineers in planning and reliability analysis development. Provides direction for resources outside of the department. Works independently in performing analysis to address standard and non-standard situations. Applies design and planning standards, industry codes, criteria, guidelines and Avangrid policies/procedures.
• Interprets processes and standards related to Distribution Planning and Reliability. Recommends solutions and best practices for standard and non-standard situations. Represents Distribution Planning on projects, task forces and studies. With minimal to moderate guidance, develop study reports and manage small projects/studies/initiatives or teams in accordance with applicable Avangrid guidelines. Coordinate phases of planning engineering for assigned portions of a project/program. Review applications of distributed generation and perform system impact studies.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
• Requires a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET (or equivalent) accredited college/university plus 3 to 5 years’ experience performing engineering duties with completion of Basic.
• Engineering Training Curriculum (e.g. ECNE-PUI) or equivalent.
• Possess a depth and breadth of experience in Distribution Planning or another related Engineering area, along with related business practices and procedures.
• Proficient at utilizing computer aided analysis tools to identify system deficiencies and plan for system reinforcements.
• Able to explain difficult issues and work to establish consensus.
• Able to work in a cross-functional team and guide or mentor other team members.
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
- Technical Skills
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this [ Link removed ]
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at
or [ Email address blocked ]
Agile Software Development