Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Position: Medical Laboratory Scientist
Position Summary: Responsible for performing moderate and high complexity testing. Analyzes, reviews, and reports test results and quality control results and takes remedial action when indicated. Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures to include departmental programs, quality control, quality assurance, and safety.
- Utilizes technical skills and abilities to perform laboratory testing
- Ability to competently perform all tests in moderate and high complexity testing.
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting, and maintaining records of patient results.
- Understands and operates test systems proficiently.
- Ability to troubleshoot test systems and take appropriate action where indicated.
- Utilizes job knowledge, judgment, and problem solving skills to ensure quality
- Follows established policies and procedures for quality control performance and documentation.
- Performs and documents scheduled and unscheduled preventative maintenance.
- Identifies problems which may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and takes appropriate action, including supervisor notification if indicated.
- Understands and follows all safety, infection control, and OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen guidelines.
- Participates in departmental quality assurance programs.
- Participates in the laboratory continuing education program.
- Effectively utilizes departmental resources
- Demonstrates efficiency by performing procedures rapidly and determining priority.
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
- Operates equipment to maximize efficiency and minimize down time.
- Utilizes unstructured time constructively.
- Utilizes personal and professional skills to promote customer relations.
- Communicates with laboratory staff and its clients to ensure quality patient care.
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with its customers.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to clients and patients.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment.
- Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion in a designated time frame.
Scope: Promotes quality client/patient relations and creates supportive climate by serving as a role model for behavior. Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to the laboratory. Adheres to all laboratory policies and regulations. Works with minimal direction. Functions as a liaison between the laboratory and the laboratory clients. Operates general laboratory equipment, including but not limited to: telephones, computer keyboards and CRT, automated analyzers, centrifuges, microscopes, manual and automated pipettes. Effectively communicates via written, verbal, face-to-face, telephone, and computer methods.
This role will have routine access to Protected Health Information (PHI). Employees will be trained on reasonable safeguards and are expected to maintain strict confidentiality, as well as abide by all applicable privacy and security standards. Employees are expected only to access PHI when it is required to fulfill job duties.
Education: BS Degree in Medical Technology or Chemical, Biological, or Physical Science with 1 additional year of Medical Technology training.
Certification: Certified in the area of Clinical Laboratory Science by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists or equivalent.
Minimum – one year of laboratory training or experience or both in a laboratory performing high complexity testing.
Preferred – two years of laboratory training or experience or both in high complexity testing within specialty.
Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical reports. Ability to write accurate and concise clinical documents, memos, and required correspondence. Ability to collect and analyze data using statistical methods. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and with laboratory clients.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the General Supervisor or other designated manager.
Physical Requirements: Requires light to medium lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires manipulation of tools, objects, and equipment using the following physical motions: pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching above shoulder height, grasping with both hands, pinching with thumb and forefinger, twisting with hand and wrist, climbing under, lifting up, lifting down, and reaching under. Routinely requires coordination of two or more physical operations. Routinely requires visual discrimination of color, size, shape, and motility. Requires the ability to hear audible alarms on temperature monitored equipment and automated analyzers.
Environmental Demands: Works in temperature controlled environment with constant exposure to biological and chemical hazards. May be required to operate fire and safety equipment or follow other safety procedures in an emergency situation. May be required to work with time constraints and in crisis situations.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Customer Relationship Management