Lead Estimator is responsible for the complete preparation of the bid. Position reports to the Chief Estimator. Candidate must be experienced in Earthwork, Support of excavation, Utility, and Cast-in-place concrete construction in preferably in urban locations. Combination of Field and Estimating experience highly desirable.
- Complete estimate preparation for both small and large heavy civil projects working both independently and/or leading an estimate team.
- Estimate preparation for various aspects of heavy civil construction projects related to Bridge, Roadwork and Railroad/Transit construction.
- Manage estimating staff in preparation of large and Joint Venture estimates.
- Identify and oversee quantity takeoff requirements.
- Identify the applicable means and methods, risks and factors affecting production.
- Estimate preparation for self-performed work items.
- Manage solicitation of subcontractors and vendors/fabricators and ensure sufficient coverage, and evaluate their proposals
- Identify potential Value Engineering/Alternate approaches.
- Create and maintain estimate prep schedule and pre-bid schedule.
- Maintain bid documents.
- Establish proposed DBE plans.
- Perform certain post-bid buyouts.
- Maintain communication with estimating staff and Chief Estimator.
- Presentation of project, proposed means and methods, schedule and sequencing, and risks to executive management.
- Partner with management team in developing new customers and growing our existing customer base.
- Assist in the development and mentorship of junior to mid-level team members.
- Develop and nurture subcontractor/vendor and client relationships.
- Extraordinary attention to details; ability to process work accurately.
- Ability to come up with creative and innovative approaches and solutions on a project-by-project basis.
- Success oriented driven with strong communication, leadership, and organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively work with and manage personnel.
- Advanced skill level in Excel and intermediate knowledge of Windows, Word, PowerPoint.
- Proficient level in Heavy Bid preferred
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ Degree in Civil Engineering or related field preferred.
- 15 years of Heavy Civil/Highway and Bridge construction.
- 10 years of estimating/project management experience with previous experience as a lead estimator on projects of + $50M.
- Preferred candidate has prior experience with design build and joint venture heavy civil estimate preparation.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
- Value Engineering